Replacement Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder is going to be replacing a window with French doors. As part of this the current twin radiator is being replaced and relocated to the side of what will be the French Doors. The current radiator is a

double convector radiator (unknown manufacturer)
600mm High
1200mm Wide (1300mm including valves)

The builder is also going to be relocating/replacing the current radiator and has asked me to buy the radiator and valves.

The width of the wall the new radiator will be fitted to is 990mm with no restriction on height.

After reading some of the posts on this board I have the following questions:

1. I realise that the radiator being shorter than current radiator will not have as much heat output but was considering compensating for this by going for a 700mm high radiator instead of the current 650mm. Also the current window is single glazed and is being replaced with double glazed French doors.

Current Radiator 5000-5500 BTU (from Suppliers quotes BTUs)
Replacement 5000-5500 BTU

2. Can anyone here recommend a particular manufacturer of radiator? I have eliminated Screwfix, B&Qs e.t.c after reading various posts on this board. I was going to check the heat output of the various manufacturers radiators of this size and then go for the one closest to the current radiator?

Some manufacturers I have considered are:

Stelrad
Myson
Quinn Barlow
Delonghi
Rettig Purmo

3. From reading manufacturers sites and measuring the current radiator it appears that an 800mm double convector radiator would be the most appropriate size (valves add extra 5cm each side). Does this seem correct size for the space?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
You do not say whether your exisitng radiator has fins on it or is just a double panel rad.

If you are confident of your assessment of current output, then just match it up with a new one, adding say, 10-15% more for the extra glass area.

Without seeing it for ourselves anything more accurate is hard to say.

gas4you,

Thanks for the reply the radiator has two sets of fins (one on each panel) and the replacement radiator would be of same design.

I probably didn't make it clear in my original post but my main query was if any particular manufacturer of radiators are more recommended than others or what the differences there are? I've noticed the choice of manufacturer is slightly reduced as not all of them produce 700mm high rads.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
I only fit Stelrad Compact rads so I am unable to comment about other makes.

I think these days they will all be roughly the same quality, just go for the size and style you think is best.

The current radiator is a

double convector radiator (unknown manufacturer)
600mm High
1200mm Wide (1300mm including valves)

Current Radiator 5000-5500 BTU (from Suppliers quotes BTUs)
Where did you get these BTU's from????

According to the Stelrad Elite Catalogue, a 600 X 1200 double convector (type K2) is rated at 7280BTU.

The largest 800mm wide stelrad rad is 700mm high and the output of a K2 double convector is only 5489BTU, which is 25% less than your current radiator.

I have only used Stelrad and Delonghi which are very similar in design and quite a nice clean modern looking radiator.

I do tend to go for the Delonghi more but thats because the coffee machine is free in the merchants that supply these, It's 20p in the one that stock Stelrad.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I decided to check what the calculate BTU figure was for the room and what it is currently (approx):

Using online calcs I got a BTU of approx 11,500 BTU (only rough estimate I know).

Currently the room has:

1 x Double Panel Convector radiator 600mm H x 1200mm W 7092 BTU
1 x Double Panel Convector radiator 600mm H x 900mm W 5319 BTU
Current Total 12411 BTU

(BTU's taken from Stelrad site,,, not too sure where I got original posting ones ;) )

1 x Double Panel Convector radiator 600mm H x 900mm W 5319 BTU
1 x Double Panel Convector radiator 700mm H x 800mm W 5353 BTU
New Total 10672 BTU

I know this is a fair bit lower than the current BTU but it is closer to the calculated BTU and I am hoping the change from a single glazed window to double glazed French doors will reduce this difference further. At worst the rad at the other end of room can be made quite a bit larger should the room be significantly colder.

I am going to go for the Stelrad softline radiator as the "Mrs" likes it and its not too bad cost wise.

Thanks again for your advice.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back