UPDATING EXISTING RADIATORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i currently have seven single radiators, but there quite old. Im looking to replace them with seven double convector radiators. My question is i have a baxi solo boiler. How do i know if this boiler can handle these new radiators. In the manual it says the maximum output is 11.72 kw. does this mean the output of all the radiators.

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Longer single panels are better than double because they distribute the heat more evenly round the room.

Dont replace long rads with short doubles unless you understand the consequences!

Tony

Yes, it does but you can fit up to say 15 kW of radiator but it will not be able to heat them quite as hot.

Unless you have a pretty large house, 11 kW is likely to be adequate for most three bed semis.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The double (convector) rad works on the principle of cold air replacing warm air. The rad warms the air between the 2 panels and the now warm air rises to the ceiling, where it flows horizontally until it cools and drops down to the floor where it gets sucked back into the rad to replace the warm air that has just gone up to the ceiling, and so on. The rad creates a moving circle of air that is generally proportional in width to its own width and it will require some stirring by humans to get around a large room. A small double rad is therefore no good for warming a large bedroom that is either unoccupied or the occupants are in bed. A large single panel radiating rad is best for those situations.

Thanks for that. Are there any simple guidelines as to which rad to use - eg when to use a single rather than a double.

My advice, but not every one always agrees with me, is that your rad should be as long as possible. Ideally along all four walls.

Thats not usually practable! So cover most of one wall as an ideal.

Double panels should be reserved for situations where a single panel will not give enough heat output.

Example, we were required to heat a large office about 10m x 12m and 3m high. We used four double rads each about 1.6m long along two adjacent walls so the total heat output was about 20 kW. They were suport pillars so that rad size was the longest easily possible.

For interest I measured the temperature around the room after it has reached equilibium and it was virtually within 1°C everywhere.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back