Replacement RCD/Main Switch - within regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started an EICR a few days ago on an unoccupied soon to be rented property.
The (18 year old) Vynckier Consumer Unit has an 4 module 80Amp 30mA RCD and Main switch combined covering all the MCB protected circuits.
While conducting the visual and mechanical tests at the board, I noticed that the test button on the RCD failed to operate.
I also noted the cooker circuit was protected by a 16Amp MCB whereas the load connected required it to be a 32Amp MCB (6mm T&E cables in place).
I followed that up with further tests with my tester and the RCD failed all tests. The Main switch still isolates the board.

The landlord explained that there had been a 'big bang' that tripped the RCD/Main switch a few days ago while they were plugging in an old fridge it was reset and the installation continued to work - I found a loose CPC and neutral at the switch when checked.
I stopped the EICR there and then because the landlord had an insurance policy with BG Homecare and they said they would come out and fix it.
The landlord has now advised me that BG Homecare have left the RCD/Main Switch in place and put an RCD into the 16mm tails after the isolator switch and before the old CU.

From an EICR perspective, the installation is in no worse state that it was before (perhaps better since there is a working RCD) but surely the BG Homecare guy should have brought the installation up to current standards - BGB 133.5 (BRB 120.4) (New Materials and inventions) BRB 314.1 (Division of installation).
Or at the very least he should not have fitted the new separate RCD without first replacing the undersized cooker circuit MCB as per BGB 132.16 (BRB 131.8 ) (Additions and alterations to an installation).
I would welcome any views.

Sponsored Links
Seems they have just done the minimum to provide a working RCD for the installation.
There would be little or no chance of getting a replacement for the broken one, so fitting one externally would be the sensible option (board replacement being the other one).

While the other items clearly require some changes, this was most likely not covered by the insurance the landlord had, so BG would not do anything to it (and neither would any other similar company).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back