Replacement Sky+ HD box

wow selling an old technology box at the price, good luck, even with the 39% off.

I ended up buying off amazon a refurb for £32 with prime delivery for the 500gb version. I figure to buy it without the hard drive is as expensive if not more or the box looks ancient.

Is there a way to deactivate the hard drive in the software settings so it stops powering up and making noise and burning the few watts of energy?

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to deactivate the hard drive in the software settings so it stops powering up and making noise and burning the few watts of energy?
I don't know about an option to disable the HDD. But, if you want to maintain the same functionality and want something quieter, I believe it is straightforward to replace the HDD with an equivalent SATA SSD.

Sponsored Links
Making Sky+HD boxes 'diskless' isn't something I've ever had enough call to do to make it worthwhile spending any time on.

The standard advice is that a Sky+HD box won't work without a drive. The reason is the EPG. The hard-drive is used to store the 7-day planner. It's said that certain models of Sky+HD box will work without a HDD, but I don't know if that means they lose the EPG too. AFAICT in this thread it's the EPG that's the main requirement since the lady concerned knows her way around it.

I suppose for someone with the spare time to go trawling car boots and the Facebook selling groups / FreeCycle etc and dealing with a few dozen boxes a week as a little side-line to a paying job then there's a reasonable chance of coming across the suitable boxes. For me as a jobbing installer though, the chances of finding (1) a person who wants this and (2) who happens to own the correct model of box, and (3) is happy to spend the money for a callout to do the work, and finally (4) accepts that if Sky later changes the firmware/software then it could be rendered useless until a HDD is reinstalled.... well, there's very little overlap between the four elements.

A possibility is replacing the mechanical drive with a solid state unit. There'd still be the power consumption, but at least the noise and heat would be reduced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back