Freesat or Sky HD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Sky+ box with the £17.50 a month entertainment package.
I would like to get HD and would like some advise please.

1. If I buy a secondhand Sky HD Box for around £80 would my Viewing card still work in the HD Box?

2. Would I still receive the same Channels that I am currently getting with the Entertaiment Package?

3. Would be able to receive the free HD channels?

4. What HD channels are available for free on the Sky HD Box (is ITV HD available)?

5. Would I have to notify Sky that I have a different Sky Box?

6. Would I just be better off buying a Freesat HD-Recordable Box for around £250?

Thanks
Woody

Sponsored Links
I currently have a Sky+ box with the £17.50 a month entertainment package.
I would like to get HD and would like some advise please.

1. If I buy a secondhand Sky HD Box for around £80 would my Viewing card still work in the HD Box?
Not until registered with sky and paired to new box
2. Would I still receive the same Channels that I am currently getting with the Entertaiment Package?
To view live yes but until paired you may not be able to record

4. What HD channels are available for free on the Sky HD Box (is ITV HD available)?

6. Would I just be better off buying a Freesat HD-Recordable Box for around £250?

Thanks
Woody

As to rest I don't know but the Free to air (Not same as free to view) boxes do receive programs that the Sky boxes will not receive and you can't get CAM cards to allow non Sky boxes to receive Sky encrypted channels. Since I don't have HD eyes I will not be going for a HD box only if your one of those who use the magnify function will you can any gains using a TV you would need a projector to get a picture big enough to use the extra info transmitted.

Many move to HD just to get the bigger hard drive and not really to get the better picture or so they have more options as to when watched.

Since I am short of SCART sockets in TV but have spare HDMI there would be some advantage but the Sports channels are only real advantage with HD where you can magnify don't think they have HD on sex channels! Not having a Sky HD box don't know if it allows you to magnify for standard boxes only my cheap free to air box has this feature.

Hi there,

I have a couple of comments to make.

I used to have a Skybox, and a viewing card.
Last year I moved to a rental with no sky dish
I have just moved into a house with a sky dish again, but have no subscription set up. I bought a Freesat box which gets me all the channels I want, you can get an HD version of this box. If you google Freesat, there is a lot of information there explaining what channels you can get. One outlay, and as long as you are happy with those channels then sweet!
I also plugged in my old Sky Digital box and inserted my old viewing card. This also gave me a host of 'free to air' channels without spending money.
As I understand it, if you do not subscribe the Sky + box recording facility will either not work at all or some of the functions such as series record will not work, as it relies on info being sent from sky down your phone line, and if you have no subscription, no signals will come to you. If you can stand not having movies, sports and can exist on all the other channels offered free, I would avoid paying SKY a penny if you can!! :D

How true I don't know but I was told the Sky+ box records the encrypted program without removing the encryption so if your card is not valid you can't view any encrypted programs! I have not tried removing the card.

The free to view boxes vary a lot. The first I used came from Turkey and was better than the one I have now. Main thing is the EPG and ability to control a rotator. The one I have now a 12 volt DC unit and is very poor but in general there is not better or worse just different and what you lose on roundabouts you gain on the swings. All free to air boxes I have used allow you to change order of programs and to delete all those you can't watch so there is non of the problems like with the Sky box in having to go through a load of programs you can't watch or don't want to watch.

But I like UK Gold, Living, and Hallmark all not on free to air.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, just call sky and ask them to pair the card with the new box

2. Yes if you continue to pay your subscription

3. Yes

4. BBC HD, Luxe HD, ITV HD (but this is not on the EPG - you need to manually tune it), Channel 4 HD (you need a viewing card to decod this, but no subscription is needed)

5. Yes, but it's free

6. That's up to you...

Yes - pair the card
yes
no - sky HD sub is required to view any HD channels
None
Yes
Only you can answer that

None
Not true, anyone with any satellite receiver capable of receiving HD broadcasts can view the FTA channels (BBC, ITV, Luxe) - no subscription, viewing card etc required :)

Looking at FreeSat and BBC web sites it is I agree not very plain.

Because Satellite TV can be received outside the UK some programs are encrypted and require a card for decryption but this card is a "One off payment". This was referred to as free to view. However other channels have no restriction and are called "Free to Air".

With Free to view there was always a reference to "One off payment" and with HD there is also reference to "One off payment" but it does not clarify as to if this refers to price of set top box or the price of a viewing card.

We have been caught out with the "Pay to View" on terrestrial TV where on buying the set we were told we could buy a card which would allow us to view the "Pay to view" channels. But when we came to buy these we are now told it has been discontinued and now we need a second set top box and the slot in the TV is now redundant.

So although the BBC web site is saying "One-off payment for a Freesat HD digital box (from £120)." one wonders what will change in the future?

With the uncertainty I have only bought standard free to air Satellite box which at approx £40 seems good value. But if I was to go for HD I think I would go for the Sky package as from reports you can cancel Sky after a year and still watch the free channels although the record function will stop working. And you can also un-subscribe from the HD part of the package and then still have the bigger hard drive.

There are some programs I can't receive on Sky for example the Elvis channel but I am not really likely to watch that anyway. And once you stop subscribing to Sky with a Sky box Channel 5 is no longer available with a program guide. But this is the big issue with non Sky boxes the EPG functions seem to vary and in some cases nearly non existent. You also lose the program numbers and when the paper guide says channel 102 often you find BBC2 on a completely different number.

This is not all bad as you can arrange the channels so ITV3 and ITV3+1 are next to each other and you can remove all pay channels and other rubbish channels shopping, sex etc. So scanning channels becomes far easier plus often they have the 9 channel function where it scans and shows 9 channels on screen so you can select the one you fancy. There are also channels broadcast like this but they seem to be missed out on Sky listing.

But I seem to watch Living, Hallmark, UK Gold, Skyfi and ITV3 in the main and only ITV3 is free to view so I will continue to pay for sky. When we up-graded to Sky+ I put old box in my wife's bedroom and she never uses it. She watches the lower quality Sky only broadcasts through the RF link even when it is ITV3 so really it was a waist of time setting it up.

Hence for me I see no point an HD. I also find because I can watch pre-recorded programs through RF link and only live with Free to Air box I hardly use the one in my bedroom either.

None
Not true, anyone with any satellite receiver capable of receiving HD broadcasts can view the FTA channels (BBC, ITV, Luxe) - no subscription, viewing card etc required :)

In the context of the OP where he wants to use a second hand Sky HD box and use his subscription then NO he won't get the HD channels unless he pays HD sub. Please read the whole thread in future.

If you use anything else ie standalone freesat box or satcard in your PC then you will receive the free to air HD channels.

In the context of the OP where he wants to use a second hand Sky HD box and use his subscription then NO he won't get the HD channels unless he pays HD sub. Please read the whole thread in future.
He will receive the FTA HD channels in addition to his subscription channels. This is why after upgrading your service to a HD box, sky installers will always first test using Luxe HD as 90% of the time the viewing card hasn't been updated to include the HD subscription.

Try it, take your viewing card out (i.e. so the box isn't aware of you having a HD sub) you'll still be able to view all the FTA channels, including the HD ones. If you insert a viewing card with a standard subscription, you'll be able to view your subscription channels plus the FTA HD channels (including ITV HD if you manually tune it).

If you've not got spare cards and boxes kicking about - give an independant installer a call (Not sky as the CS agents are told to sell you a HD subscription in their training - a memo was sent round just the other week reminding staff to push the HD subscription even if someone just calls up to pair a card with a box)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back