replacement timber double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a flat in the west herts area in a block which had timber single glazing fitted originally. they are now rotten.

i want to replace the windows with identical timber frames but with double glazed units.

the frames have arches etc. so are don't match standard designs.

anyone know who in my area can make timber window frames?

Sponsored Links
With the greatest respect, Breezer old chap, do you think I didn't try that first?

I did, but there was a dearth of companies supplying anything but PVC replacement glazing.

You may be looking under the wrong section, have you try looking at "JOINERY MFRS" in the Yellow pages ?

Sponsored Links
Bob

We too have found there is little to choose from when installing replacement windows other than going to the PVC machine.

There are a number of firms in Scotland Allan Brothers, Broxwood who will supply and are cheap. Also Swedish Timber Window Company will supply fit. Rationel look great but I dont know if they are more expensive.

bung any of these into google and youll get their details

All we need now is a reliable fitter for SW London.

bobb said:
With the greatest respect, Breezer old chap, do you think I didn't try that first?

I did, but there was a dearth of companies supplying anything but PVC replacement glazing.

most people DONT, they just ask away, but then you did get what you were looking for, just not quite what you were looking for

bobb, where HAVE you been looking? I tried google and put in "wooden windows hertford" and got a load. Then "wooden windows welwyn" and got http://www.cjdirectory.com/company-32757268.html try looking at it. There are loads of companies dooing wooden windows.

Don't be frightened of softwood windows either, they last just as long as hardwood if built and treated properly, but then I oil mine.

Hi Bobb

Did you get anywhere with this.

I'm in a similar situation in hemel and have been looking for wooden frame double glazing.

I tried the Box Sash Window company - (got the link from a post on here) as one of our windows is sash. However after a visit from their sales rep I had to decline the quote £21,000 for one sash and 8 "standard windows". I almost died !!

andy

£21 000!

Thats pathetic - either they're the Rolls Royce of sash windows, or selling mainly to people with more money than sense.

I have single glazed sash windows on my own house, 95 years old, and still working nicely (after I restored them). Any capable joiner would be able to make some for you, its only the frame thats slightly complicated.

barrata said:
Hi Bobb

Did you get anywhere with this.

I'm in a similar situation in hemel and have been looking for wooden frame double glazing.

No, Andy. I've put it on the back burner for a while. I drew up a list with the intention of ringing round from the Yellow Pages - Beechwood, Monaco, MG Dobby looked promising - I'll let you know if I strike gold.

Keep in touch and let me know if you find anything promising.

Tom. said:
£21 000!

Thats pathetic - either they're the Rolls Royce of sash windows, or selling mainly to people with more money than sense.

I have single glazed sash windows on my own house, 95 years old, and still working nicely (after I restored them). Any capable joiner would be able to make some for you, its only the frame thats slightly complicated.

I think they were the Rolls Royce and Maserati of sash windows! Admittedly their product was good , I saw their references and previous work and it was all Georgian mansion stuff, conservation areas, listed buildings etc. Sadly my house in Hemel isn't quite that grand!

bobb said:
No, Andy. I've put it on the back burner for a while. I drew up a list with the intention of ringing round from the Yellow Pages - Beechwood, Monaco, MG Dobby looked promising - I'll let you know if I strike gold.

Keep in touch and let me know if you find anything promising.

Hi bobb

Our central heating has just gone so that's 2k down the pan, so like you I have now had put this on hold for a while. If i see anything I'll post it here.

Good luck

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back