Replacement toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace both our toilet seats as they are clearly ancient and stained. Both the toilets appear to be the same but their existing seats arent. The toilet is a normal floor standing type (rather than floating) but the mounting points are not accessible from the underside - the pan goes flush to the wall.

On one the seat was simple, the seat hindge had grub screws that could be removed to release the seat, lift some metal covers from the mounts and theres a screw, unscrew that and the mount lifts off.

The second one I am at a loss with though as the mount/hinge is a single piece of bent plastic (sort of ? shaped) so no way to remove the seat and its a flat disc of a couple of mm and so clearly no accessable screws. I can only guess it was attached by wing nuts underneath before the toilet was installed and then put in place making the wingnuts now inaccessable. I guess my best option is to saw off the current mounts so that the remainder of the screw drops through irrecoverably into the base of the toilet and then install the new seat as normal?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have been stitched up by the fitter using a bottom fix on a back to the wall pan.
Worth posting a photo though before you attempt anything else.

Good news is that it’s plastic, easy to snap off.
Just replaced all mine with soft close top fitting seats from screwfix , wife likes the one button release which makes for easy cleaning as the whole seat can be lifted off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back