Toilet Seat Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry I am new here and believe I have found the correct section for this question but I apologise if it is not.

I have just moved into my first home and wish to replace the toilet seat, the problem is that it is not what I expected.

The seat and bowl are are quite square and there are two silver brackets which appear to be keeping the seat connected to the bowl.

I have been unable to remove the seat.

I believe I may have found how to do it but not sure as there is not a lot of room between the back of the seat and the wall.

It appears there may be a screw per silver bracket on the back that needs to be removed but getting to this will be difficult.

I will try to upload images to show the seat.

Has anyone seen a seat like this before and am I correct in thinking these screws need to be removed or is there an easier way?

Thank you for your help and advice

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Always best to post a picture of the hinges and underside of the cistern. :)

It look an awful lot like a mean plumber fitted it, normally back-to-the-wall pans are fitted with top fixing hinges. They have a screw from the top that expands a kind of rubber rawbolt in the hole to fix it. There should be some kind of button, prize off cap or hole you can push a screwdriver in to release the top, giving access to the fixing screw.
Two kinds here.
http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/Luxury-Standard-Soft-Close-Seat-White.aspx

http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.u...seat-hinges---small-peg---03065750-3110-p.asp

Some plumbers fit standard ones that bolt through the top and then fit the pan afterwards!

Like these.

http://www.cisternfittings.co.uk/ideal-standard-toilet-seat-alto--halo-seat-hinges-chrome-655-p.asp

If you can't find any slide or prize off bits you might have to pull the lot out.:(

Have a look at the examples and then hopefully you will be able to spot how to gain access from the top.

There does seem to be a small lug on the seat part next to the chrome bit on the left hinge try pushing that!

Sponsored Links
It look an awful lot like a mean plumber fitted it, normally back-to-the-wall pans are fitted with top fixing hinges. They have a screw from the top that expands a kind of rubber rawbolt in the hole to fix it. There should be some kind of button, prize off cap or hole you can push a screwdriver in to release the top, giving access to the fixing screw.
Two kinds here.
http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/Luxury-Standard-Soft-Close-Seat-White.aspx

http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.u...seat-hinges---small-peg---03065750-3110-p.asp

Some plumbers fit standard ones that bolt through the top and then fit the pan afterwards!

Like these.

http://www.cisternfittings.co.uk/ideal-standard-toilet-seat-alto--halo-seat-hinges-chrome-655-p.asp

If you can't find any slide or prize off bits you might have to pull the lot out.:(

Have a look at the examples and then hopefully you will be able to spot how to gain access from the top.

Thank you for all the info, I see on one of those links that there is a screw on the inside of the bracket, this looks similar to what is at the back of these brackets on mine. Maybe I'll need to get a small right angled screw driver and give that a go.

There does seem to be a small lug on the seat part next to the chrome bit on the left hinge try pushing that!

I did see that on the left but it didn't seam to be much but I'll give it another go see if it moves :)

Thank you

Thank you for all the help so far :)

I returned to the flat today to do a bit more decorating. While I was there I had another go at getting this seat of but cannot get it to budge :(.

I looked at the little what looks like a level on the left hinge but it will not move up or down, I tried with a screw driver but nothing.

I also tried some Allen keys on the screw on the back but none of them felt like they fitted correctly but to be honest it's a real pain to see where the key needs to go.

I did manage to get the camera behind and take some pictures, do you think these brackets have been fitted the wrong way and that's why this is so difficult?

Thanks again

image.jpg

image.jpg

Certainly look like allen keys, remember there are metric and imperial sizes it can be difficult to tell the right size.
All else failing use a hacksaw blade to cut the plastic pins on the seat then you may be able to turn the chrome bit for better access.

Certainly look like allen keys, remember there are metric and imperial sizes it can be difficult to tell the right size.
All else failing use a hacksaw blade to cut the plastic pins on the seat then you may be able to turn the chrome bit for better access.

Thank you for the response.
Yeah I think have a couple more sets that I can try so I'll see how I get on tomorrow.

I was thinking of using a bit of brute force and rip it out may be easier but the hack saw idea may be a better idea :).

Once I get the seat out would it be a standard square seat I need or will I need to find one with these weird hinges?

Thanks again.

Hello all,

Sorry it's me again, I thought getting the seat of was the hard part but turns out finding a replacement is harder.

I have sent messages to a few sites and provided pictures of the base, they have all so far said they don't think they stock a seat for it and it appears to be a weird shape.

I originally thought it was a square seat I would need but now I think it will be a D shape?

Most of the D shapes I have found are two wide.

I measured the old seat as 45cm in length and 35cm wide, the brackets are 16cm apart.

Do you know what seat I would need?

Thank you

image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back