Replacement window measurement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Looking to replace a tilt and turn window however i'm having some issues with the previous installation and getting the right measurements (will be replacing it myself).

The old window is level with the external render however internally there is plywood strips running round the reveal attached to the sides of the window. These had been covered with upvc strips.
The problem is on removing a portion of the plywood strip it reveals the original plasterboard surround and also the rebate where the original window sat.

Should i use the measurements of the old window and add frame extenders so that it sits up against blockwork? Don't really want to copy what they did as sealant outside was letting in some water which soaked the plywood.

Sponsored Links
bobasd the original frame was a double hung box frame.
it was set back behind the nibs of bricks you've found.
thing to do is strip both reveals and the window board arrangement back to bare bricks.
the angle bead in the photo looks like its beginning to rust so pull the side reveal angle beads as well.

the new frame can be set as far back as the installer wants. it can even be set slightly behind the nibs of brick taking into account having a projecting sill and how the outside reveals are made up?

a photo on here of the outside will help.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back