Contractor changed window measurements - now too small for frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently booked to have my windows refitted and a company measured up, sent me measurements for my new windows which I was happy with and signed off on via a contract, then their surveyor came over to check measurements.

They have now dropped off the UPVC frames to fit tomorrow and they are significantly narrower by around 20cm vs the measurements originally agreed on. They said this width is necessary due to some decorative plaster on my windowsill which would block them opening, however my downstairs neighbour has an identical window size, and her windows open completely fine. Hers are 10cm wider than the ones I’ve had delivered.

Basically, they’ve changed the sizing of the windows without telling me. It’d mean I lose a huge amount of light, and the window will be packed out with a ton of UPVC frame to even make them fit correctly which will be unsightly. Am I right to request a replacement or refund seeing as they have changed measurements without informing me? If they hold firm and say the surveyors measurements are right, what are my options?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
I would refuse the different sized windows.
They measured and sent you their surveyors' sizes and now want to supply a smaller size without consulting you.
To me, that is breach of contract because you want same sized replacement windows. They are giving you smaller sized, therefore reducing the amount of natural light that you originally had.
Cynical view is, they have a set already made up for another job, which turned out to be too small, and they are trying to off-load them onto you.

Thanks for your quick advice! So the measurements on the contract were the business owners’ original measurements. They then sent a surveyor who supposedly measured the windows to be this new size, but no one informed me of this change and I wouldn’t have proceeded had I known, and the contract has the original measurements on anyway.
With these windows I’d be left with 16cm width of glass on certain sections of the bay window, over half the width of my original windows. Nightmare!
If they try and hold firm and say these windows are the correct size and they won’t make them any bigger - what are my options if they refuse a refund?

Sponsored Links
Then thats a mistake surely, from a rough measurement purely for quote purposes to a proper survey for manufacturing you may sometimes see a difference of 20mm if the surveyor has noticed some plaster lines are thicker so the window needs making narrower but 20cm thats 8" in old money, what the hell. No I'd refuse them and ask the business owner to come back and explain how a window thats 20cm narrower than the brickwork opening is right

Thank you, completely agree. Surveyor is coming back tomorrow to explain his measurements but I can imagine he’ll be hesitant to admit the error.

Is there any use raising with FENSA if they refuse a refund?

Fensa don't get involed with these types of disputes, they're only a self certification scheme and since no installation has taken place YET then no regs have been broken

Just seen pictures

Is this an upstairs bedroom?

maybe it’s been altered to be egress compliant, not sure how though

@Notch7 No, a living room. The original agreed size would’ve still allowed for the windows to open fully, if anything this would make it harder now they’re narrower haha!

20cm difference is ridiculous and would never be for fire egress , as that's making the window smaller and fire egress want as big as possible anyway.
I'm very confused as to why they decided a 20cm difference from survey measurements to delivery.. some one has clearly ducked up and they are just trying it on

If they try and hold firm and say these windows are the correct size and they won’t make them any bigger - what are my options if they refuse a refund?
Did you pay any amount by credit card! Even a small deposit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back