Problems with new upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help advise me?

I have just had a number of new upvc windows installed in my property to replace moch-sach early 90s windows.

They have all got trickle vents in the top of the frame (not in the opening). Because of the frame size and these vents the windows have been installed with clip on extensions to the top and to the sides. Basically they seem to have taken around 2 inches from the top measurements for this purpose. So there is a internal an external line a t the top of the windows where the clip and frame meet.

However, on instpection the clip ons are not flush to the existing frame. I.e both are not sitting next to each other perfectly. Indeed when I removed some tiles for a bathroom renovation I could see day light between the clip on and the window frame proper.

I was not advised this this clip on system was how the windows would be made/fitted. I raised this and theur said this is normal practice. I dont see why this is necessary. Can some one advise whether this is this normal?

Even if it is normal I cant imagine the gaps between the clip ons and window frame are right. I advised them of the daylight and they came around to silcon seal some beading they have placed at the edge of each window. Personally I dont like this - to me the clip on (if they have to be used) should be weather tight. Silcon degrades and just does not seem best practice to me.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Kind regards,

SC

Sponsored Links
The areas where the clip-on has daylight showing through is probably where the frame fixings are, if not screwed on properly when drilling the drill bit pushes the clip-on off, i'm only guessing though but if it is then its shoddy workmanship and a slap dash attitude. Further i would have to question the need for clip-on on the sides, clearly if you can see the joint between it and the window frame then that suggests the plaster is not that thick and thats the reason for using clip-ons, height wise then fair enough, if they'd rather fit the vent in the clip-on not the frame then its up to them.

Sounds like they have fitted add ons/ frame extenders, I assume as they have put trickle vents in the frame the top add on is to accommodate that and when you fit add ons normally you will have to cut a little bit out of each end so it does not interfere with the frame weld and sits tight to the frame, sounds like this has not been done.

My best guess is shocking measuring by the surveyor. Why would anyone use knock on for the sides of a window frame, unless the surveyor measured it wrong in the first place. Even deep internal plasterwork can be accomodated adequately by modern profiles - exceptions for the hinge side of doors where fouling of skirting and hinges is commonplace. Measure the height and width internally between reveals, then the same externally and calculate the depth of your plaster. Even dry lined it should be no more than 50mm on the width. Get them back and have it out with them :evil:

Sponsored Links
Add ons are usually required where the plaster protrudes so far that it would interfere with the opening of a sash or door frame, if this is not the case they have probably been used (as said before) because the frames were not measured correctly. You do not normally need add ons to allow trickle vents to be fitted as they can normally be fitted through the frame itself. Also yu do not need trickle vents to meet building regs, the night latch position (slightly vented position) meets the regs.

Add ons are usually required where the plaster protrudes so far that it would interfere with the opening of a sash or door frame, if this is not the case they have probably been used (as said before) because the frames were not measured correctly. You do not normally need add ons to allow trickle vents to be fitted as they can normally be fitted through the frame itself. Also yu do not need trickle vents to meet building regs, the night latch position (slightly vented position) meets the regs.
are you sure about that? In Scotland for all windows, including replacements, any habitable room must now have permanent ventilation - if there is no other ventilation in the room then the window must have a vent fitted - the secondary locking position is not classed as permanent ventilation.

i thought with trickle vents it was if replacing it was like for like and in new build you had to have them

i thought with trickle vents it was if replacing it was like for like and in new build you had to have them
This may vary between local authorities - i know people that have had to drill a series of holes through steel reinforced sashes in all their windows because they were flagged up when they were selling the house. I don't like vents myself - it's a ridiculous piece of legislation to say you need low e and gas filled units to save energy then have to have vents in the windows.

This may vary between local authorities - i know people that have had to drill a series of holes through steel reinforced sashes in all their windows because they were flagged up when they were selling the house. I don't like vents myself - it's a ridiculous piece of legislation to say you need low e and gas filled units to save energy then have to have vents in the windows.

im exactly the same its pointless trying to save all this energy then you have to put a trickle vent on.i had to do the same for the company i used to work for a few years ago and that was on sash windows 3 big houses full of the things not a nice job

No its not ridiculous at all. As usual the industry is slow to deliver effective trickle vents that will provide an effective and thermal seal when shut instead of the rubbish vents they supply that cost pennys to produce. The public also need to play they're part and educate themselves to open the vents when necessary. The forum is littered with problems with condensation. The average Joe has little understanding of the need for background ventilation. Prey tell what is your answer to the problem?

No its not ridiculous at all. As usual the industry is slow to deliver effective trickle vents that will provide an effective and thermal seal when shut instead of the rubbish vents they supply that cost pennys to produce. The public also need to play they're part and educate themselves to open the vents when necessary. The forum is littered with problems with condensation. The average Joe has little understanding of the need for background ventilation. Prey tell what is your answer to the problem?
ahem......open the window? have the sash in the secondary locking position for one.I don't see why this is not acceptable for planning,and after all, if somone has a go with a jemmy bar having the sash fully locked ain't going to be any more secure,and it will mean the low e glass is being more effective. Also vents are going to be outlawed from 2016 - any new build or extention is not going to be allowed trickle vents, so they can't be that great after all, can they?

ahem......open the window? have the sash in the secondary locking position for one.I don't see why this is not acceptable for planning,and after all, if somone has a go with a jemmy bar having the sash fully locked ain't going to be any more secure,and it will mean the low e glass is being more effective. Also vents are going to be outlawed from 2016 - any new build or extention is not going to be allowed trickle vents, so they can't be that great after all, can they?
I agree, existing vents are rubbish as have mentioned already but then they'll have passive venting that will be permanently open to the atmosphere. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back