Replacement windows, cost of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace all nine existing ones which are aluminium and fitted back in the 70s. I am only really interested in better quality so its case of either Veka ,Rehau or Koomerling.The measurements are as follows :
Upstairs , bearing in mind they would have to have fire escape capability, in mm WxH-

bathroom1- 1x 920 x1060 just one opening window
bed1 1x 908 x 1560 one opening window, one fixed and a skylight
bed2 1x 908 x2080 ditto

downstairs-
Lounge 1x 860 x1150 on fixed window and a skylight
3x 1070 x 1280
bed3 1 x 1070 x1280
bathroom2 1x 1070x1280

I am getting three quotes but i just wanted some idea what i should expect to pay .Thanks

Sponsored Links
£2000- £2200

Hope that helps.
thats seems reasonable to me thanks.I forgot to mention the 4 windows downstairs would have one opening vertical pane, a fixed one with a skylight above it.Not sure how much that would effect the price

Had my first quote from Bentleys and it came to £5690 although also included a Rehau composite door with a fixed side window.Given that the door was about £900 + vat( special price) ,it seems rather steep.I have two more to come one from an independent local fellow .He is not Fensa certified but he normally uses the services of a Building inspector rand reckons thats better

Sponsored Links
Whwn I got my house done (7 windows) it was about £2500 from a local independant. Quotes from the big national people were £5000+

Whwn I got my house done (7 windows) it was about £2500 from a local independant. Quotes from the big national people were £5000+

yeah i wondered about that, particularly as the company in question has to travel miles(East sussex) to where i live in West Sussex

to get a rough price on windows i add the width and height (in cms) so the lounge 860 x 1150 is 86x115cm or £201, thats for simple windows in white fitted, (+vat) bays bows and doors dont work like that though

to get a rough price on windows i add the width and height (in cms) so the lounge 860 x 1150 is 86x115cm or £201, thats for simple windows in white fitted, (+vat) bays bows and doors dont work like that though

by that reckoning a simple window would cost about £0.0202 a sq cm +vat.Dont suppose they work out window costs that way but if they did mine would come to
£196
£286
£383
£200
£277( x5)

Total £2450 + vat = £2940

got my second quote today. Salesman first asked me how much did expect to pay which threw me back just as his verbal price was i.e. 2k over the first one I had.Then he asked me if I was getting some more quotes to which I replied yes of course.That was this morning

This evening he returned and gave me a written quote which was slightly over 2k below the first one. I hadnt told him how much that was but kind of guessed there was standard competitive price.

i await two more , one from a local well established and well known firm that fit Halo windows and Palladio doors(Irish) and an independent sole trader who only fits Koomerling .Says nothing will touch them quality wise although the Halo supplier reckoned there wasnt much between any of the window brands and that is was mostly down to the fitting :confused:

the Halo supplier reckoned there wasnt much between any of the window brands and that is was mostly down to the fitting :confused:

That is true about the fitting. I'd rather have an average quality window profile fitted perfectly that a top of the range window profile fitted badly.

I do like the kommerling profile and it is decent quality.

the Halo supplier reckoned there wasnt much between any of the window brands and that is was mostly down to the fitting :confused:

That is true about the fitting. I'd rather have an average quality window profile fitted perfectly that a top of the range window profile fitted badly.

I do like the kommerling profile and it is decent quality.

yeah i am really tempted by them , in fact i already have one fitted in my extension.I wanted to fit a British made product which halo is , but if its quality does not match Kommerling then I it will have to be that ,provided the price is right :)

Feeling a bit ripped off - I just paid £7k for 9 windows, one back door, side panels for front door and patio doors for our new house ...guess the patio doors were over £1k though... (did get 3 quotes -this was middle - top was £10k, lower 2 were within a few hundred of each other... all local companies, and all had been recommended...)

Anyway - I am just going to back up
fitting is the most important thing
Get recommendations from someone who has had their windows for a while.... and either insured or well established- get references...
Speaking from experience...I bought current house I live in when the double glazing was about 6 years old...company who fitted them had disappeared...
Apparently they are really good quality units but very very badly fitted... and I tried to get them repaired but the frames had warped so badly that no-one will touch them...they are all big windows - which makes warping if they aren't toe and heeled properly on fitting worse apparently...
(I have put on new seals, even sealed some shut with silicon (and expanding foam too in one instance -gap too big for silicon alone - I could fit my finger through)
Also they all have wooden trim around them - used to cover the fact that they don't fit well and no attempt to draught proof/seal them - on the ones I have taken off they are open to the wall cavities ...and bar thin silicon seal the outside (my recommendation would be to spend a bit more and don't let them use any trim - get them plastered in ....)
Really need replacing but feels like such a waste - I'm probably the only person in the world who is hoping their units start misting inside...
(Oh - and another thing - choose colour carefully - mine are dark brown upvc - I would prefer white (especially inside - really limits the decor otherwise ) and the reason I don't just replace the worst ones...)

Feeling a bit ripped off - I just paid £7k for 9 windows, one back door, side panels for front door and patio doors for our new house ...guess the patio doors were over £1k though... (did get 3 quotes -this was middle - top was £10k, lower 2 were within a few hundred of each other... all local companies, and all had been recommended...)

Anyway - I am just going to back up
fitting is the most important thing
Get recommendations from someone who has had their windows for a while.... and either insured or well established- get references...
Speaking from experience...I bought current house I live in when the double glazing was about 6 years old...company who fitted them had disappeared...
Apparently they are really good quality units but very very badly fitted... and I tried to get them repaired but the frames had warped so badly that no-one will touch them...they are all big windows - which makes warping if they aren't toe and heeled properly on fitting worse apparently...
(I have put on new seals, even sealed some shut with silicon (and expanding foam too in one instance -gap too big for silicon alone - I could fit my finger through)
Also they all have wooden trim around them - used to cover the fact that they don't fit well and no attempt to draught proof/seal them - on the ones I have taken off they are open to the wall cavities ...and bar thin silicon seal the outside (my recommendation would be to spend a bit more and don't let them use any trim - get them plastered in ....)
Really need replacing but feels like such a waste - I'm probably the only person in the world who is hoping their units start misting inside...
(Oh - and another thing - choose colour carefully - mine are dark brown upvc - I would prefer white (especially inside - really limits the decor otherwise ) and the reason I don't just replace the worst ones...)

i Thats something all three of the contractors I had call round have told me , especially the last one.

Another profile manufacturer i found is Duraflex who seem to be well regarded http://www.duraflexwindows.co.uk/countylist1.htm

Interesting 4 quotes . 10 windows one very small and one quite large and another with toughened glass, the rest being average size plus a composite door with side window .3 quotes came to be between
One came at £5500 using Koomerling windows and Solidare composite door
another at £5692 using Rehau windows and door
and another at £5769 using Veka windows and doors

Finally a local firm who been fitting windows since 1987 came with the best quote of the lot, £4998, using Halo windows and Palladio doors

I decided the choice is between Koomerling and Halo but first need to decided whether Koomerling are worth the £550 extra.Some people seem to maintain that Koomerling are the best as they give the fewest problems whilst others maintain there isnt much between any of those manufacturers and its more down to fitting than anything else.

general rule of thumb round these parts is approx £ 400 pw ,regardless of size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back