Replacing 1 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a dimmer that needs replacing. The dimmer has 2 ports, labeled L2 and this:
mkVxO.png

I have two red wires connected to those ports and an earth connected to the metal plate in the back of the wall.

The switch I have bought is labled
L3 (Out) L2(Out) L1(Out) L (In)

This instructions, Here (Referring to the 1 Gang Model) is unclear to me which wire goes to the L1 Port and which wire goes to the L Port. Can someone help?[/img]

Sponsored Links
The ~ symbol you refered to in your old dimmer is normally known as common.
That cable needs to go in the L on the new one gang switch.
The second cable goes in the L1 (out - switch live) on the new one gang switch.

Sponsored Links
:S which one is it. Both posts are opposite answers :D
Yes they are.
Anyone out there going to act as a referee??
Normally one way switches will have a common and L1 terminals. The common is used to bring the power to the switch and the L1 is used to take the power from the switch to the lamp. This switch will still work if you swop them around although the switch rocker will operate upside down.
Sometimes switch manufacturers like to mess things up and either dont use the Common and just have L1 and L2 or utilise the ~ symbol.

In my view the ~ symbol on the old switch is the common and the L2 is the switch live.
The new switch is much clearer in that it has only one IN and potentially three outs. You cannot swop them around - so I would reiterate that the cable in the old switch ~ is the power in so L (IN) and the L2 in the old switch goes to the L1 (out) in the new switch.

Just checked a couple of dimmers I have in stock and the ~ symbol appears separately as both the common and the switch live... great....

:D Is there something I can do to check either wire to see which one is which? I am assuming if I put the screwdriver with the light to the wire connecting to the lamp (common), it won't light up, whereas the Live wire will? Allowing me to differentiate between each one? I'm sure I have one lying around somewhere in the shed (my brother is the diy guy in the house, I want to start figuring these things out for myself).

:D Is there something I can do to check either wire to see which one is which? I am assuming if I put the screwdriver with the light to the wire connecting to the lamp (common), it won't light up, whereas the Live wire will? Allowing me to differentiate between each one? I'm sure I have one lying around somewhere in the shed (my brother is the diy guy in the house, I want to start figuring these things out for myself).
I wouldn't use one of those screwdrivers you can guarantee to get false readings. Do you have a multimeter?
If you can get one - turn the dimmer off - and set the multi-meter to volts. Then put the probes against the ~ and earth and then L2 and earth. You should get around 240v on one of them and this is the one that goes to L(in) on the new switch.

In my view the ~ symbol on the old switch is the common and the L2 is the switch live.
Even if that was also the view of the maker of the switch, how do you know it was also the view of the installer of it?

The new switch is much clearer in that it has only one IN and potentially three outs. You cannot swop them around
With only one light connected you must be able to.

- so I would reiterate that the cable in the old switch ~ is the power in
I would reiterate that I really don't see how you can possibly be sure of that.

Particularly as with the old switch it would have worked either way round.

And so will this one with only one channel in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back