Replacing 15mm pipe with 22mm in gravity system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gravity fed hot water system (header tank in roof with hot water cylinder upstairs). The hot water system is plumbed with 22mm as far as the upstairs bathroom, but where it drops down into the kitchen downstairs it uses 15mm pipe.

The hot water flow rate in the kitchen is not particularly good, would there be any gain in re-plumbing with 22mm as far as the kitchen tap tail or would I just be wasting time and money for little gain?

Sponsored Links
I have a gravity fed hot water system (header tank in roof with hot water cylinder upstairs). The hot water system is plumbed with 22mm as far as the upstairs bathroom, but where it drops down into the kitchen downstairs it uses 15mm pipe.

The hot water flow rate in the kitchen is not particularly good, would there be any gain in re-plumbing with 22mm as far as the kitchen tap tail or would I just be wasting time and money for little gain?
My guess the latter. Mine is plumbed pretty much entirely in 15mm and reasonable flow. Are there any valves which might be stuck part open? Maybe worth trying a different tap.

Yes, I suspect the tap is the root cause but that's the one she likes. Just wondering if replacing the final 15mm section so it's 22mm from cylinder to tap tail would make any appreciable difference.

Sponsored Links
if your kitchen taps are new and use flexi hoses that will be the problem

OK, much as I thought - lump it or change the tap.

Thanks for the input everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back