Replacing 3 Gang Rocker Switch with 2 Gang Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Hopefully a fairly straight forward question.

I've recently had house rewired and am in the process of replacing the white plastic sockets that the electrician put on with fancy metal ones

Currently in one room, I have a ceiling light, and two pairs of wall lights making three switchable lights which are currently on a 3 gang rocker (is that the correct terminology)?

The boss (wife) wants the lights to be dimmable and as the room is all decorated, she's happy to have the two pairs of wall lights coming on as one, with the ceiling independent so that a double dimmer switch will fit into the single back box rather than having to channel out for a 3 gang dimmer on a double socket box.

So, I replaced the ceiling light and it was as expected. Live/Neutral in and out, with the live, and switch live coming from the socket.

When I go to the socket, the first switch is as expected. Live in the Com and Switched Live in to the 1 way.

Now we get to the part where I wanted to check my thinking.

There are four further wires. All the neutrals (blue) are connected within an insulated terminal block. Then two of the cables have the live (brown) wires going into the remaining two com switches. There is also an additional piece of live cable connecting between com and com.

The remaining two cables have the live wire going into the two sets of 1 way switches. (I assume that these are the cables that go to the wall lights).

Are the two wires that go into the Com switches, just an extension of the loop wiring, albeit within the switch box ?

And if so, to make the two sets of wall lights as one, will just putting the two live wires into the com box, and the two switched lives into the 1 way and discarding the extra bit of cable be sufficient ?

Obviously I will run an earth to the metal place of the new socket.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks holmslaw.

Even when you 'think' you know the answer, it's amazing what a weight of the shoulders it is having it confirmed. !

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those links

But without reading all that...

Is it common for a 3 gang switch to have lights on the same circuit?

Is it common for a 3 gang switch to have lights on the same circuit?

More common than, having more than one circuit, yes.
but obviously total loading should be considered.

Technically more than one supply could be hazourdous to someone maintaining the system, not entirely sure but may even warrant an "isolate all supplies warning label"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back