Dimmer switch, three sets if wires in, 2 gang - help!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can anyone help, ny wife has had enough of the day I've spent trying to put in this one dimmer switch!

In the front room I have wall lights and the ceiling light and had the intention of putting in a replacement dimmer switch but having taken the front plate off I am now confused. There are three live wires and three black (all the black are connected together on a plastic joiner) and the eath are all connected to the back plate.

There is a black cable joined from Com to Com, so it only leaves me with the three live red wires to connect. The dimmer switch has two gangs each with Com, L1 and Switch.

I know that one live wire needs to connect with Com but after that I'm stuck. Please can anyone help and put some harmony back into my household?

THanks

Sponsored Links
and you didn't make a note of the connections before you removed it? tut tut

There will be one red in a common. One red in either L1 or switch and the other red in either L1 or switch. (why don't manufacturers join forces and just call the terminals by the same name?)

The link cable between comms takes the perm feed from the first switch to the second switch.

I know, I thought I had it clear as one went to L1 and the other L2 but the new dimmer switch didnt have L2 and that sent the mind in turmoil.

Just tried your solution, and now have live in L1 and live with com in one gang whilst the other shows one live in L1 and one live in switch. The black from Com goes to other com but.......

nothing, its not giving any light......

I can sense divorce other the horizon

Dude,

One of this red bad boys is the "hot" one. That has to go into the common. Mark them all one, two and three with black pen and keep trying them out until you get the right combo. There is a faster way but it's too dangerous for non-skilled folks

8)

Tell your missus you are in good hands :D

Sponsored Links
Ok so I have one red in common, one in L1 and one in switch, does it matter whether the one in switch is in the same gang as the live with the common?

Appreciate all this.

You need one red in a common.
Now the other reds with either be in L1 and L1 or Switch and Switch.
Not L1 and Switch

Whats this, the blind leading the blind?? Take photos of wiring and new switch, report back. You have got a multi meter havent you?

Hi guys, yes the power coming in is fine but I've checked the two wires that I've put from live 1 and live 2 and there is no voltage recorded, does that mean the switch is blown? There is definately voltage through the common to common.

Hi guys, yes the power coming in is fine but I've checked the two wires that I've put from live 1 and live 2 and there is no voltage recorded, does that mean the switch is blown? There is definately voltage through the common to common.

Not sure where live 2 has come from.

I take it you have a two gang Plastic dimmer switch.

Three incoming reds - all blacks to terminal block - cpc to back box

For reds you should have one cable bringing the power.
Two cables going out to the ceiling lamp and wall lights respectively.

Identify which is the cable bringing the power in and place that in common together with a link wire to the common on the other gang. You should now have power to each gang.

For each of the other two reds place one in each L1 of each gang these are you switch lives.

You will only register power at the switch lives when they are switched on.

If you are using a metal plated dimmer then the dimmer itself will need a cpc to the black plate earth connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back