replacing 6inch soil to 4inch soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there restictions when using 4in soil pipe I would like to reduce the diameter from the wc as I have to route the soil pipe under the bath and out through the wall - total run will be 5m with 1 90 bend

Sponsored Links
its just push fit plastic. Ive actually got to connect to a Giberit concealed pan and the giberet fittings are 4 inch away from the pan

OK, I wondered if it was a clay collar, because the modern ones I've used are all 4-inch, so I was surprised you have a 6-inch.

What is the 6-inch part you have to connect to?

Sponsored Links
yes its going into a 6inch soil stack again plastic. so its 2metres under the bath through the external wall a 90 then 2 more metres before dropping into the stack. My concern is likelyhood of blocking or is 4 inch perfectlly acceptable? I presume I could reduce off the 6 inch stack to 4inch a the swept t

when I say 6 inch I mean 110mm and 4 inch 82mm !

you've lost me now.

4" (110mm) is the normal size for UK soil pipe.

Have you got an American loo or something?

thanks for your help - I stick with the 110 mm - whats the 82mm used for then?

82mm is sometimes used for dry sections of a stack, i.e. vent. I was told at college pans are available with a 3" outlet, for connection to 82mm pipes, but have never seen it in practice. Soil pipe sizes are:

82mm=3"
110mm=4"
160mm=6"

3" WCs are I understand used in the US, and occasionally appear on sale here, but I didn't know they were permitted on our plumbing system. I would have thought them more likely to block.

I think thats why they're not used! College was 20 years ago, legislation could well have changed since... I certainly wouldnt install a pan on a 3" pipe. Bad enough when 4" blocks!!!! :(

I think thats why they're not used! College was 20 years ago, legislation could well have changed since... I certainly wouldnt install a pan on a 3" pipe. Bad enough when 4" blocks!!!! :(
:LOL: I`ve seen 3" soil working fine @ an old house but it was lead and had vents etc. and done by craftsmen ;) Was repairing a 2 1/2 gallon Cistern on the ancient syphonic WC - so asked about the small pipework ...Never had any bother :!: . They didn`t like paying so maybe they were tight ar sed :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back