replacing a 1 gang switch with a 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I previously had a 1 gang switch wired up to two separate light fittings in my room. So when u press the switch both lights turn on. I wish to replace the switch with a 2 gang switch allowing me to switch each light on separately. How can this be done?

Sponsored Links
do you have 2 sets of wires for the 2 lights into the existing switch or has the second light been extended from the ceiling rose?

I have the same problem and I have 2 sets of wiring in the switch plus the main feed.

Sponsored Links
Tompee - it's been 2 years since those posts were made - I don't think the people are still checking for replies.....

im interested i think this is exactly what im needing to do. currently i have 1 light and a 1 gang switch in our bedroom. i want to change that for 2 lights with a 2 gang switch. i am going to run new cables in the wall for this new additional light but i am unsure of how to connect the cables into the back of the 2 gang switch. currently i have two red wires only at the back of the switch but once i have ran the new cable for the additional light i will have these two red cables and then one new red and black, which i am unclear where to put in the new 2 gang switch. plzzz help and soon because i am decorating and i need to get these cables raggled into the wall and connected. yours hopefully watters

with noly two wires at the switch they must both be lives

two reds at the switch you say?

is that a red and a black with red sleeving?
are they singles in conduit?

what kind of light is the new light?

watters01 said:
im interested i think this is exactly what im needing to do. currently i have 1 light and a 1 gang switch in our bedroom. i want to change that for 2 lights with a 2 gang switch. i am going to run new cables in the wall for this new additional light
And presumably a neutral and a permanent live to a rose or JB for the new light, the live to be taken to the switch with the new cable?

but i am unsure of how to connect the cables into the back of the 2 gang switch. currently i have two red wires only at the back of the switch but once i have ran the new cable for the additional light i will have these two red cables and then one new red and black, which i am unclear where to put in the new 2 gang switch.
The two reds will go into COM & L1 on one gang of the new switch, and the new red & black will go into the other COM & L1 respectively. Don't forget to sleeve the ends of the black core with red to indicate that it is a switched live.

See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553 for diagrams of how lighting circuits are wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back