replacing a 64inch radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi members, my son has just discovered one of his old radiators has lost its screw from the top , this screw bleeds the radiator he cannot get a replacement as the system is old.. so with his lack of cash he has bought a new one from wicks,the new one is 64 inches approx 4 inches shorter than the old one,he wants me to fix the new one for him, and i have never done plumbing before. so with the radiator being shorter the valves on each side will be 2 inches short, so my question to any expert?

what is the size of the pipe work going to the radiator? is it 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch?

and finally can i buy an elbow joint to slide over the pipework, so the pipework will reach the radiator, it must be a elbow joint that does not need soldering to the old pipework. example something like a compression joint or a self tighting one... this is the best i can describe what i am asking hope someone knows what i mean. thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
if your asking me a question then i am sorry i am lost on that one.
please be more simplistic thanks

Have a look at Screwfix.com and search for Adjustable radiator. It' ll come up with two products (and pictures!) once of which might just suit your purpose
ps - I'm a DIYer not a plumber but I've fixed this problem with these once before.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Screwfix.com and search for Adjustable radiator. It' ll come up with two products (and pictures!) once of which might just suit your purpose
ps - I'm a DIYer not a plumber but I've fixed this problem with these once before.

thanks for that on my way now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back