replacing a boilermate F&E tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...my annual Boilermate post...

Well, it still works fine, but the remote header tank is seeping water and has helpfully rotted away the shelf it's sat on, which is now held together by it's own paint.

Carpentry notwithstanding, I'm going to fit a new F&E tank. A genuine spare appears to be available at a long lead time and an astronomical price, so I'm considering putting in a standard plastic one. The only issue with this seems to be the vent pipe.

The current setup has the vent pipe entering the tank at the side, my intention is to re-plumb it as an upside-down U entering the tank at the top.

So:
1) Does this sound stupid? Is there anything I need to watch for?
2) I was going to use a 22mm tank connector between the vent pipe and the tank (duh) - is this needed or is there a better type of fitting?

ben.

Sponsored Links
Yep, there's an existing 22mm vent pipe, which I want to extend. I think what I was really asking was what should be used to connect that to the top of the new plastic tank, assuming that leaving it dangling through a jagged hole would lead to cries of horror (the tank I have seen has no fittings and needs to be drilled)

b.

Sponsored Links
if you get a plastic tank and a bylaw kit the grommet is supplied for the vent

if you can get a clip of some sort on it
it certainly won't do any harm
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back