replacing a cord pull light switch with dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a traditional pullcord light switch with a dimmer switch located outside the cloakroom. I have fitted the wall box and am about to run the cable. The cable that I have is two core with an earth wire that is not sheathed. Is this cable ok first of all?
I have no idea how to connect the dimmer switch to the cable. One wire is black and the other red+ the earth.
Also any ideas on connecting the cable and existing wiring into a junction box? Thanks :?:

Sponsored Links
the cable you have must be what is called twin and earth, yes it is suitable.
In the new swicth you connect one wire to C the other to L1 (does not matter which way round) the bare earth wire you must cover with green/yellow sleaving you then connect this to the little brass terminal in the back of your new box (i assume it is metal) if not and your new switch is plastic too then put a connector block on it.

Then turn off the mains remove the old switch and connect the wires colour to colour (red to red etc) make sure all your connections are tight. switch mains back on test new dimmer

breezer said:
the cable you have must be what is called twin and earth, yes it is suitable.
In the new swicth you connect one wire to C the other to L1 (does not matter which way round) the bare earth wire you must cover with green/yellow sleaving you then connect this to the little brass terminal in the back of your new box (i assume it is metal) if not and your new switch is plastic too then put a connector block on it.

Then turn off the mains remove the old switch and connect the wires colour to colour (red to red etc) make sure all your connections are tight. switch mains back on test new dimmer
:) :) Thanks very much I,ll try that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back