Replacing a heating room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our 23 yr old room stat is an LCD one with no back light. It really annoys me in the early morning because it is too dark to read the display.

I would like to replace it. Possibly with one that has a back light or even a knob that I can turn until I hear the click.

When considering options is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes.
Having a backlit thermostat on all the time will **** you off when watching TV.......

Not really, just whether your existing one is 2 wire or 3 wire. Not all backlit ones stay lit.

Not really, just whether your existing one is 2 wire or 3 wire. Not all backlit ones stay lit.

Which means he can't see it in the dark lol.
I had a Sunvic which had a backlight but i couldn't see it in the dark either unless i got up and pressed the button.

Best option would be changing to a modern system where you just say "Hey google....." which works great.

Sponsored Links
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I read it as it’s annoying because OP can’t see temp being set to, thus, a light up one when operated would be sufficient.

Heh.

I did wonder why the OP wants to see the temp setting every morning!
It is what it is.
A £5 electronic thermometer will tell you the temp in glorious technicolour.

Is the op using the stat as a heating on-off switch? Wouldn't be unusual....

Heh.

I did wonder why the OP wants to see the temp setting every morning!
It is what it is.
A £5 electronic thermometer will tell you the temp in glorious technicolour.

Is the op using the stat as a heating on-off switch? Wouldn't be unusual....

Yes it is used an an on/off switch. We never use the timer.

Yes it is used an an on/off switch. We never use the timer.

Common enough.

I'd babble on about you having the heating controls updated to a more modern system but, meh, you know what you want.

How about just fitting an old fashioned rotary dial thermostat and using that as your on-off switch?

Nest will tell you verbally as well (if you have google assistant)

Thanks but I just want something cheap and cheerful. I tend to turn the thermostat up as I leave early in the morning for she-what-scowls-at-me
Common enough.

I'd babble on about you having the heating controls updated to a more modern system but, meh, you know what you want.

How about just fitting an old fashioned rotary dial thermostat and using that as your on-off switch?

Thanks, I did say, in the original post that I would be happy with a rotary one as an option.

Out of interest, does the fact that the current one has an always on (but not lit) LCD mean that it has 3 wires? Would a rotary one only require 2 wires?

Out of interest, does the fact that the current one has an always on (but not lit) LCD mean that it has 3 wires? Would a rotary one only require 2 wires?

The old arrangement of electro/mechanical thermostat required three wires - live + switch(ed) wire + a neutral. The neutral was needed to power a tiny heater element inside the thermostat, to improve the response of the thermostat, to help overcome the hysteresis delay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back