Replacing a kitchen window with french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
The french doors I have are to fit 1200 wide openeing, but the opening is 1340. I can cut the wall out below the window to 1200, but should I remove the outer leaf bricks that will need replacing in order to reduce the opening width before I fit the french doors, and is it feasible to fit the new bricks after the doors are fitted ?
Cheers,
P.J.

Sponsored Links
Really you need to take out more bricks than the width of the doors and tooth them back in other wise you will end up with cut faces in the reveals of the doors and this will look absolutely rubbish.
You will need to take the opening back on both sides then rebuild one side and fit your frame then piece back the otherside upto the frame.
I can post some pictures of one I did at home if you like.

Chappers,
Wise words, thanks very much. The photos would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, that brings me onto a couple of bricklaying questions:
If you disturb a brick, say round a doorway, so you can tell the mortar/brick joint has been broken, how can this be repaired ?
Also, when bricking up a doorway, how do you pack mortar on top of the last course, between the blocks and the top of the opening ?
Thanks,
P.J.

Chappers,

I'm thinking that 10 to 15mm of exposed cut edge, while not ideal, is a lower risk than having bricks and mortar that don't match the original (I've got some dodgy extentions round my way!).

What are your (and everyone's) thoughts on his please ?

Cheers,

P.J.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I haven't got back been away will post some pics tomorrow
matching the mortar can be a bit tricky but it is worth the effort cut bricks will look naff and if the bricks have holes or frogs and you cut through these they will show in your reveals, with regards to filling above bricks you need to get as much mortar into the joit as possible and then push the rest in when pointing it up, with regards to repairing mortar lines rake out any crumbling mortar and then just repoint it back in making sure you fill the whole void and not just the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back