Replacing a light fitting - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-decorating one of our bedrooms and as part of this replacing the old looking light to a more modern one.

The old light is very different to the old and I am unsure of where the different leads from the ceiling need to go.

On the new light there are three places for connection: Live, Earth and Neutral

From the ceiling there are 3 main cables from which there are the wires on each:
red (live), black (neutral) and green (earth)

although on one of the 3 main cables (I will call this main cable 3). there is bit of red insulation around the black wire. I believe this is the switch wire?

also on main cables 1&2 the green earth wire is coming from both into one wire.

where do the cables from the ceiling need to go on of the three conections on my light (live, earth and neutral), thanks alot for the help :D

Sponsored Links
but to answer your question. you are right regarding the black wire with red tape it is a switch wire, this should go to live on your light, the two remaining blacks should go to neutral, all the earth wires should go to earth, the 3 red wires you have should go into a separate connector block ( not supplied) if these do not then not only will your new light not work, some or none on the same floor won't work either.

welcome to the forum

So I need to purchase a connector block and just connect all the red (live)into that and have it hanging connected to nothing else. Does that just serve the purpose of connecting them all together and completing the circuit?

also how big is a connector block and any idea of where I can purchase a "connector block" online?

thanks for the help

yes, but most electricians would poke it back up the ceiling. as for where to get one the cost is so small you would pay more in postage

i have enclosed a picture of connector block

8671_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok, ive got a 15amp 6 way connector block (strip)

it was that or a 2amp one, did I got the correct one for the job?

now do I just connect 2 of the live wires at one side and one of the wires at the other side on one of the sections?

thanks for all the help again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back