Replacing a polycarbonate conservatory roof panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

This looks to be really straightforward. It appears that I need to slide out my damaged panel and replace it by sliding the new one back in. Am I missing something obvious?

The panel is 25mm(I think - I will measure prior to purchasing a new one!), and snugly fits in between the roof bars leaving the thin grey seal visible but flush up against it.

There is an end-cap, and possibly the panel is screwed into the supporting 'wall'. Apart from replacing the tape can anyone think of why a relative layman such as myself should not attempt the repair?

Would appreciate some advice, happy to supply further details if required. Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
hi,
you will need to prise off the capping either side of the light, this will enable you to lift out the damaged light after unscrewing any screws holding it down, to refit just put it back between the frames and tap capping back on

reguards

Depending on what kind of glazing bars you have, it may be really hard to take the lids off, you will just have to gently work your way along each glazing bar prising it off gently.

Sometimes the lids are like carpet grippers, you may have to rip the old panel out to give you the 25mm gap you need so you can prise the lids off that way (I may not be making any sense) You could always take a pic of the glazing bar so we can see.

The panel wont slide out as the bars hold it in too much and its doubtful the panel will be screwed down anywhere, normally they 'float'.

Horrible job, good luck! :)

Sponsored Links
Thnaks to MW and Drew for the replies, very helpful.

drewroof's reply seems to make more sense for my set-up, and I think it would be a bit of a shame to call someone out for what appears to be a simple repair.

I don't think it will be too hard, the conservatory is only a year old so sliding the damaged unit out should hopefully be relatively painless. Funny, I am positive the installers damaged it when they put it up, but unfortunately I didn't notice the damage until well after they had left, so proving it would be a problem. What makes me so sure? The damage is the exact shape of an arse, as if someone had sat on the panel...

Please continue to add any comments if you can be of any more assistance. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back