replacing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace a new radiator, but because I have a thermostatic valve (a big white knob that you can turn with numbers from 0 - 5, and a snowflake sign) on the left and need to know how to turn the water off at this point. Do I just turn it to the number zero, as there doesnt seem to anywhere else you can turn of the supply at this point. I have photos which explains this better, so can email them to you so you can see exactly what I mean

Hope someone out there the in biig wide world can help!!!

Sponsored Links
Depemds how quick you will be at changing the radiator, the trv will open if the ROOM it is in is too cold even when the stat is turned down.

you can use a freezing kit (as the name says it freezes the pipe) or drain the system

AS Breezer said the trv cant be felied on to be fully off or stay off, when new the trv will have a small plastic cap to hold it shut ,but that was probably put in the bin. you can still blank off the rad end of the vave once the rad is off ,at worst the trv will only dribble , its at nite when your asleep and the temp drops that it mite open up.

I just thought of something,would it not be possible to put plastic bag over the TVR's valve head plus tape/seal so it can't sense the room temperature as the bag is keeping it warm ? so it won't open up or am I talking a loads of rubbish :!: :)

Sponsored Links
Hi
Well ive found out the hard way(with gushing water)that you cant shut of this thermostatic valve(how silly is that!! and why?), so I had to drain the whole system, took me ages with water spilled everywhere. My problem now is that the pipe connections from the floor on the right dont meet up with the new radiator. Its positioned and lined up ok but now with a gap of about 140mm. Does anyone know how to join extra copper pipe without the hassle of soldering (cos I cant and haven't got the equiptment) Reckon there must be a way

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back