Replacing a roof window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to replace an old Velux by a new one, same size same place, in a loft.
It is a top-hung one, we want to replace with a centre-pivot one.
The roofer advised us to replace with the same kind, a top-hung, because this is a fire escape window.

I there a law that obliges us to do so, or is it just a question of choice?
(Top hung is impossible to clean on an inaccessible side of the roof).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A route to safety in the event of a fire?

Or the ability to clean the outside?

Hmmm...

In that case, I would question the wisdom of it being classified as a valid Means Of Escape. :confused:
It is if there is fireman on a turntable ladder outside; :LOL:

Going out of a window onto a tiled roof is also infinitely more desirable than being trapped inside your loft conversion trying to punch a hole through boarding & the tiles whilst choking to death on acrid black smoke. :cry:

Sponsored Links
In that case, I would question the wisdom of it being classified as a valid Means Of Escape. :confused:

It a scary fact that when the flames are licking your backside the risk of a few broken legs is somewhat more desirable. Its fairly common for peeps to jump (fall) unimaginable heights to try and escape fire.

One for Shy, wheelchair bound persons have also been known to crawl up or down stairs when the fire comes a knocking.

It is if there is fireman on a turntable ladder outside; :LOL:

Hi Rich, yeah, I'm with you on that. Sit on the roof until a unit turns up :LOL:

All depends on the definition of the O/P's use of "inaccessible". Up 'ere int'north we've still got a load of old terraces wit cobbled back alleys 'n ginnels that a unit wouldn't reach. :cry:

One for Shy, wheelchair bound persons have also been known to crawl up or down stairs when the fire comes a knocking.
So they *don't* need ramps then, they're just ferking lazy. Just goes to show, a bit of effort is all that it takes...

My, how we've digressed! :LOL:

Anyways, back to the original question

We want to replace an old Velux by a new one, same size same place, in a loft.
It is a top-hung one, we want to replace with a centre-pivot one.
The roofer advised us to replace with the same kind, a top-hung, because this is a fire escape window.

I there a law that obliges us to do so, or is it just a question of choice?
In order to comply with the Building Regulations the window should be replaced with a suitable emergency escape window. IIRC velux centre-pivot windows do not meet this requirement.

This work must be notified to your LABC, either by using a member of a self-certification scheme (FENSA), or you can submit a Building Notice and carry out the works yourself. Alternatively, you could JFDI and if anything ever crops up in the future claim the glazing was cracked and that it was an "emergency repair" :cool:

hmmm,

I have a 'friend' who may (or may not have) just replaced a velux with one of the exact same type (only newer).....

Am I reading your post correctly that it would require a building warrant even if it's a replacement?

Technically yes, to prove it meets the regs for thermal resistance. Will only be an issue if he's selling anytime soon and if the surveyor spots that its new.

Our Velux is also top hung, but pulling down on the air vent fully unlocks the the mech to enable it to pivot for cleaning.

the model is a GPL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back