Replacing a single radiator with one with a higher Btu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice. We have a bathroom that is fairly small but in winter it gets extremely cold compared with the rest of the house. There are a number of reasons - it is on a corner with 2 external walls, north facing and does not have any insulation above in the loft because someone installed recessed lights. The current radiator is a single 500x600 with approx 1681 Btu. I was wondering if installing a new radiator with higher heat output would cause any issues. I have calculated the whole system and it comes to 5.3 kwh (small 2 bed house with 6 rads). Does that sound about right? The boiler is an Ideal C95FF and says it can take up to 29 kwh. Is there anything else I would need to consider?

In general if I replaced an existing 500x600 single with a double of the same size do the pipes generally meet up? Just wondered if radiators were standard sizes or if they can vary a lot.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A double radiators need the pipes a little more forward of the wall then a single radiator. If you have plastic pipes, I expect they will fit OK, however copper pipes are less flexible so may need to be modified.

If you have the space, you could also consider a taller radiator of the same width.

Personally I would buy a good selection of part from Screwifx and then hopefully be able to take them all back when I did not have to change the pipework.

You can get caps to put over recess lights to allow loft insulation, well worth sorting out your insulation as well as putting in a double radiator.

Look at the possibility of using SMD lights in your fittings they don't get hot like halogens or filament bulbs

A double radiators need the pipes a little more forward of the wall then a single radiator. If you have plastic pipes, I expect they will fit OK, however copper pipes are less flexible so may need to be modified.

If you have the space, you could also consider a taller radiator of the same width.

Personally I would buy a good selection of part from Screwifx and then hopefully be able to take them all back when I did not have to change the pipework.

You can get caps to put over recess lights to allow loft insulation, well worth sorting out your insulation as well as putting in a double radiator.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it is below the window so a taller radiator isn't an option. And copper pipes so would assume there won't be much give in them. I may have to get someone in if the pipework needs altering. Whilst I've taken off a radiator before to flush it and put new valves on, altering pipework is not something I've done before.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back