Replacing A Towel Radiator With No Vertical Play In Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
:-)

I'm about to start tiling my bathroom and want to replace my old 500 mm x 1000 mm towel radiator with a 500 mm x 1800 mm towel radiator. I'm not sure how to get a new towel radiator on as there is no vertical play in the pipes that come out of a solid wall.

The previous owner replaced the towel rail without replacing the valves. He did this by loosely attaching the four towel radiator brackets leaving them drooping below the horizontal. He then inserted a new towel rail into the brackets and (due to the loosely fitted brackets) had enough wiggle room to drop the radiator allowing the nut and rubber O ring to attach the the threaded connection on the valve. I'd rather avoid this bodge.

I'd also rather avoid draining down as the Firebird oil boiler is a nuisance at ridding air after draining that makes for unreliable hot water for many days while the air is purged.

Is there some sort of (telescopic?) fitting that I can use to give me some vertical wiggle room when attaching the radiator? This one linked below?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-1-2-bs ... 35mm/3628r

Help ... please ... eek!
::b

Attachments

• Rad (1).JPG
    Rad (1).JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Rad (2).JPG
    Rad (2).JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Rad (3).JPG
    Rad (3).JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 59
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
2 people required, one holds the rad the other steers it onto the valves and connects them.
You fit the rear part of the brackets into the ones screwed to the wall before anything. The front part of the bracket and screw go in once the rad is connected to the valves.

Thanks terryplumb. I've just successfully attempted what you described flying solo. I used a paint tub and some books to prop up the rad while I manoeuvred it in position! Thanks again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back