Replacing all my radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have decided that the time has come to upgrade the heating system in the house I moved into last year. I have an old Myson Housewarmer back boiler and round top rads (which appear to have been painted several times!), and as the house was built in 1880 the heating system just doesn't seem man enough to keep the home warm.

I work for a Plumbers Merchant (won't mention which one - not sure on the rules) so I would really like to replace the rads myself asap, and have the boiler replaced in the summer (by a Gas Safe engineer).

My questions are:

1. Should I expect to find any issues with draining down and refilling my open-vent system? Should I replace the float valve whilst i'm at it?

2. Will I be able to replace all 5 of my rads in one day? I think of myself as pretty competent in the DIY department, but wonder if this is achievable.

3. Should I powerflush? I'm guessing not as most of the crap will leave the system via the old rads or when I drain down, and the new system will be a lot cleaner than what I have now! Also, chemicals. Which chemicals should I add and how do you add them to an open vent system?

I don't want to find that i'm introducing problems to an otherwise reliable system!

Thanks very much for you patience!

Chris
:D

Sponsored Links
I . When draining turn power off so boiler doesnt fire, put any motorised valves into manual position and open all air releases.
On refilling bleed downstairs first.
2. All depends how used to using tools and measuring accurately. Like for like would take me 10 mins a rad, but thats cause i`m used to it 30 mins a rad should be plenty.
Measure to middle of valve sticking out floor then put brascket on to the rad and measure from bottom of bracket to middle of where the valve goes into rad add these 2 together and this is the height from floor to bottom of bracket on the wall, use the slots in bracket as this will give you adjustment for leveling.

3 if your existing rads are hot all over and get hot reasonably quickly there should be no need to powerflush, Add sentinel x 100 on completion easiest way is leave one of rads empty and put a connex elbow into top of rad and slowly pour it in then replace with blanking plug.

Stelrad rads allow for greater error in measuring than centrebrand which have to be nearly spot on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back