Replacing analogue thermostat with Salus RT500RF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to replace my old thermostat with a programmable wireless thermostat and I've been thinking to buy the Salus RT500RF.

My boiler is Glowworm 24C and my thermostat has no markings but a model number inside reading TA 3002. Looking online I think it's made by Sonder. There are 3 wires connected to it, all white and unmarked. It's wiring diagram is like the one in this photo.

http://cdn.elec.ru/i/fbb/f58/164/fbbf5816479b5441b14cf0899c7ee71e75a82536.jpg

The wiring diagram for Salus RT500RF is in page 6-7 of its manual that can be found here:
http://www.salus-tech.com/cache/fil...ibrary/2014/3/Salus-RT500RF-Manual-005-NC.pdf

There's a youtube video that shows how to wire the Salus RT500RF with 3 wires only here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrT8asotzo

Can someone please help me? How are the terminals between the old and the new thermostat related?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You would be better off replacing with a RT500BC.

This replaces the clock inside the boiler and should be pretty much plug and play.

The loop link wires on the 24v and 230v would need to be fitted as per page 36/37. Likely the 230v link will have been cut to connect your current thermostat, you would need to bridge this back together.

Another option is replacing your current thermostat with the wired version using the 24v link doing away with the need to fit a wireless receiver.

In my old house I had a Betacom 30c and RT500 setup which worked a treat.

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

I can bridge the loop links (or keep the old thermostat at max temp which I assume will have the same effect?)

The RT500BC receiver will fit in the same space as the clock and it will exactly match the connections going into the clock? If that's the case it indeed sounds like the ideal solution.

Unfortunately I need to move the thermostat because it's positioned in front of the main door and it goes on at 10C while the rest of the house is very warm - hence the need for an RF thermostat.

You would need to bridge the 230v back together as the receiver is a 24v.

Looking at the wires going to the clock on page 50 (Bottom left) you just need to unplug them and plug them in matching the numbers. 1 & 2 are power, 3 & 4 are thermostat 24v. Based on the Salus being able to replace most clocks the setup will be a standard.

If the RT500BC was out when I had my setup installed in the old house in 2009 I would have picked that... Would have saved me laying about 10 meters of 2 core!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your guidance, I've just ordered RT500BC. I'll update you again once it arrives and I've installed it.

Unfortunately the RT500BC is not compatible with Glowworm 24C as the clock receives a 24V supply and the RT500BC expects a 240V supply :(

I will be returning the unit... any other ideas?

PS. the old wired thermostat is using the 24V loop.

Hi,

Nothing is stopping you wiring in the the 230v for the power, saves the hassle of returning it and having to mount the receiver.

Connect the 24v loop back together, mount the receiver in place of clock, unplug the 24v power connector from the PCB and connect this up to 230v.

Hmm maybe it's worth a shot... Do you know what size of crimp I need to buy for this or how I'd go about measuring it properly?

I rewired it and now it's working \o/

Thanks for all your help!

Glad you got it all sorted; far better then having to mount an ugly receiver and gets rid of the analog clock.

Hi.
New to the forum.
This is exactly my problem at the moment with the same boiler and RT500BC.
Any chance you could upload a pic of how you have wired this.
Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back