Replacing bathroom extractor fan but old fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an oldie extractor fan in the bathroom (only small drill holes taking air out!) running off the light. I am thinking of upgrading to a better one and understand all electrics must be done by a qualified/certified person.

Can I get someone to do this (inlcuding the isolator switch that might be required) without having to upgrade my old style fusebox (no RCD)? Or will it have to wait until I can upgrade it all?

Thanks!
Inigo

PS - (I know, i know an RCD is a priority and plan to upgrade my electrics next year when I can afford it, but must do this now as the fan seems like it's about to die!!)

Sponsored Links
If your fan is K nackered and you are not doing any new wiring then you can change it for a new one, no new fuse box, no electrician required.

The Part P document allows replacement for maintenance purposes without any notification malarky needed..

Thanks TTC, that helps a lot. Sorry, just one last question:

If I wanted to change for a different type of fan - maybe in line with humidity detector (possible running low speed all the time like an envirovent filterless fan) - would the wiring change and would that be notifyable?

And if i called an electrician to do it rather than myself - are they allowed to do it without all the malarky?

(sorry that's two questions :D )

Sponsored Links
If I wanted to change for a different type of fan - maybe in line with humidity detector (possible running low speed all the time like an envirovent filterless fan) - would the wiring change
Depends on what you have now and what the new fan needs. If there's already 3-core & earth going to the fan then that'll be fine, if it's only twin and earth and you get a fan which needs 3C+E....

And if i called an electrician to do it rather than myself - are they allowed to do it without all the malarky?
Registered electricians can notify with very little effort and almost no cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back