Replacing bathroom floor tiling - wet underfloor heating installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to redo one of our bathrooms including a full re-tile, but the house has wet underfloor heating throughout which gives me pause for thought.

How is the underfloor plastic piping likely to be set below the floor tiling and is there a risk that removing the existing tiles will damage the pipework? Will most tilers / fitters have experience of workign with these systems?

The house is only about 15 years old and is generally finished to a pretty good standard generally so it's not likely to have been bodged or shortcut - unfortunately, the original contractors ar no longer in business so I can't check with them.

Sponsored Links
Hard to be sure TBH. That being said if it was installed properly, in screed, then it should be embedded far enough down to allow the tiles to be lifted without an issue.

Many thanks, Madrab, and very comforting.
I'll ask the fitter about his experience in such matters and how we'd move to fix things if we did get a small fountain in the bathroom. Given the right answers, I think we can go ahead.

Sponsored Links
Only thing you may need to confirm is if it is installed into screed. If not, as say in a low profile install, where the pipe sits on top of the original floor and say covered in plywood, then more care may need to be taken when mechanically removing the old tile.

There shouldn't be a scenario where the pipework isn't covered by something that should then create a barrier/separation between the tile and adhesive and the UFH pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back