electric under floor heating under ply floor with tiles on top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I have just tiled a bathroom floor and didnt think about underfloor heating until now:eek:

The ceiling below hasn't been plasterboarded yet so I was wondering if I could put those electric heating mats or heating wire under the floor which is 18mm wbp ply?

Sponsored Links
Lets see, ply isn't much of an insulator, but ply's made of wood, and logs are made of wood, and logs are used to build houses, so log built houses obviously aren't very warm.

The play will take absolutely ages to warm up, and it will warm up, but it won't transfer much heating into the room, but it's up to you.

Sponsored Links
Lets see, ply isn't much of an insulator, but ply's made of wood, and logs are made of wood, and logs are used to build houses, so log built houses obviously aren't very warm.

The play will take absolutely ages to warm up, and it will warm up, but it won't transfer much heating into the room, but it's up to you.

That's quite a leap you've made from 18mm ply to a log cabin!

My intention isn't to heat the room just the tiles so its not like walking on blocks of ice or in this case travertine..

It's an illustration to show you that wood does have insulation properties, that's all. Give it a go, and come back with the results.

I have an electric blanket on my bed, and having got fed up with laying on the wires, I put a 1 tog duvet over it. It's now lovely to sleep on, but the top heat level is now down a couple of notches, and takes longer to heat up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back