Replacing bathroom radiatior with towel rail...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have just moved into a new build house and have a small radiator in the en suite which I'd like to replace with a heated towel rail.

The current radiator is only 400mm wide, and is supplied by flexible plastic pipes, as shown below in the photos:

I was thinking of fitting one of these (500mmx1200mm): http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/duratherm-heated-towel-rail-18195-25586#optionMatrix1 or this: http://www.railsandrads.com/details.asp?ProductID=11

Onto the questions (only 3 this time!)...

- Am I limited to fitting a 400mm wide towel rail, or is there generally enough flexibility in the pipes to go to 500mm (as I think these look better and there seems to be more choice)?

- I'd prefer not to have to drain the system. Will the existing radiator valves (one is TRV) simply fit onto the towel rail, or do I need to fit new ones?

- The white box that the pipes emerge from - do people generally leave these on the wall (as it'll be more visible behind a towel rail).

Thanks,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
You can fit a 500mm wide towel rail. There should be enough slack to move pipes up a little, maybe remove the white cover and move it up to give enough length to reach towel rail connector.

You may need to drain down, to replace radiator with straight radiator valves so TRV will not stick out in front and only stick out at the side.

Daniel.

Given that towel rads are quite often bottom entry, the fact that the trv's are proud of a 400mm wide rad should give you considerable hope in fitting a 500mm towel rad.

Do take into account that towel radiators are designed to dry and warm towels rather than heat rooms, so make sure that the output of your new rad is sufficient to provide the same output as the one you are replacing ;)

A quick look in my screwfix catalogue suggests that both a 400x600 single panel radiator and a 500x1200 toweal rail will have an output of about 350-400 W, so that should be OK.

You might be able to do it without draining down, but it would be a great idea to first make sure you know how and where to drain, just in case it becomes necessary to do so in a hurry!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies...

I've ordered one of the towel rails and will go from there after delivery.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

Ta

I would have fitted a standard towel rail above the radiator.

ok, so the towel rail was delivered today.

I do need to replace the standard angled valves with straight ones, so will have to drain the upstairs CH system :( Got the Loctite (thanks Dextraneous!)

3 questions -

1. The plastic pipes are 10mm, am I right in thinking I need a 10mm straight valve? Wickes only seemed to have 15mm or 8mm earlier.

2. How do I remove the existing angled valves? They look like push fit.

3. The existing rad has a TRV fitted - should this be fitted to the towel rail, or manual valves used instead?

Ta,

Gareth

All done.

Ended up leaving the elbows on the pipes, and fitting straight 15mm valves with TRV.

Am intending to tidy up the pipes at a later date. I'll have to chase the wall and bring each pipe out directly behind the valve, so I'd be able to fit chrome covers on them. Whilst I'm at it I'll turn the valves inwards, would look better I reckon.

But at least it works, no leaks! Yet.

Cheers for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back