Replacing Bottom Plate of Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem where the bottom plate of a stud wall in my conservatory keeps rotting. I repaired it about 4 years ago and it has rotten again where it comes into contact with the concrete on the ground. The Stud wall is built againts a tall garden wall made from large cement blocks. Basically what I have decided to do is replace the bottom plate of the stud wall with bricks (which are mortared to the cement floor) in which the vertical poles of the Stud wall is secured two with metal brackets screwed into the brick with raw plugs. I have also protected the wooden stud wall with plastic sheeting. I have never seen this type of construction but I think it will stop the rot but not sure if there is some other problem I might run into?

Thanks for any opinions,

Chris
20230326_173610.jpg

20230326_173639.jpg

Sponsored Links
Obviously the bricks won't rot, but surely you still have the damp problem. Probably better to strip it back and tank the entire wall and edge of the floor slab.

Strip of dpc under the brick, with similar protection if damp is coming from elsewhere.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I think the problem here is it will always be impossible to stop a bit of damp coming through the wall even with tanking and it will eventually just rot the wood. With this solution the bricks might get damp but will have the chance to dry out due to ventillation. It seems that Bottom plates rotting is a very common problem unless they can be kept totally dry so this seems like a reasonable solution in my opinion - using bricks with mortar as the bottom plate. Was just worried I couldnt see any examples of anyone else doing this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back