Replacing braided hose on WC cistern (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I needed to address a leaky flex pipe coming into toilet by replacing it . The picture shows the existing one , I expected an isolation valve but have one with an additional piece of copper pipe ? Can I just not get a longer length of flexible pipe and go straight into isolation valve ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6961.jpeg
    IMG_6961.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Buy the new flexi with an olive fitting at one end and make the job quick n easy for yourself.

Fingers crossed you should be able to use that section of copper pipe.

Sponsored Links
1. Agree with just pumps.
2. Following that solution you would need the stub of copper to connect the compression end of the new flexi.
3. That type of (normal) isolation valve is designed has compression fittings each end. These have a 45 degree internal chamfer at the end, into which an olive fits and is compressed when the nut is tightened. Because of the chamfer, these usually have a fairly sharp "vee" at the end of the threads. The sharp vee can cut into and damage the seal inside a female flexi connector.
4. Because of the above, If you got a flexi of the right length with 1/2" BSP female connectors each end (e.g. Screwfix item 50739) you should not fit it directly to the isolation valve. You have three options:
4.1 Change the isolation valve to one with a flat end. You can get them from Toolstation. I don't think Screwfix do them. However, you would have to isolate the water flow elsewhere to remove the old valve.
4.2 File the end of the existing isolation valve flat. Personally I wouldn't risk doing this in-situ.
4.3 Replace the stub of copper pipe with an adaptor such as Screwfix 2665R. You would need a new olive to fit it under the isolation valve compression nut. I prefer copper olives, but Screwfix don't list them. You could probably buy the cheapest 15 mm compression fitting and use one of the olives from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back