Replacing broken clay tile from inside the roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can it be done?

I have a 1920's house with a steep pitched roof, clay tiles torched at the back and no felt.

There are two broken tiles that need replacing, one of which is in a bitch of a position to access from on top of the roof without walking on the roof and risking more broken tiles. Both of tiles are easily accessible from inside the roof space.

Is it realistic to replace the broken tiles from the inside? The tiles have broken where the overlap the tile below so it would be a relatively short length to slide into the roof space. I could then slide a replacement into position.

Before i start potentially knackering my roof can anyone comment on my chances of success :)

Obviously at this age the tiles are potentially getting close to their end of life but the rest of the roof is sound and i don't want to replace the whole lot yet.

Sponsored Links
Yes give it a go,what have you to lose, hold the ones up around with the broken ones with bits of batten then wiggle the broken ones out. Just make sure the new ones are nicely on the battens.

Not sure about your chance of success, but just make sure you are not going to hit somebody on the head or your car.

Its just the one tile in each location.

I'll just have to try and see what happens. If i can get the old one out, i'm sure i'll be able to get the new one in.

Good point about making sure the area at ground level is clear. One tile is above a chimney breast so if the tile was to slip it would end up in the valley between the roof and chimney breast. The other tile would end up on the bonnet of my car!

Sponsored Links
Taken me a while, but i replaced the broken tiles at the weekend from inside the roof. Sods law said that the tiles would be behind rafters so i had to slide the broken tile over another tile to get it into clear space and then slide it out.

Getting the broken tile out was relatively easy. Getting the replacement in was a lot harder as it was a lot longer than the broken one. It certainly tested the new tile's strength though.

Overall, still much easier than climbing on the roof and risking breaking even more tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back