Worth replacing missing rosemary clay roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have some tiles missing from my roof, and also some that are de-laminating. The tiles are rosemary clay. I've had a roofer round to quote for the work and he's said that it isn't worth replacing the broken/missing tiles, because in doing the work someone is likely to break or dislodge more tiles. He said that it's worth just leaving the roof as it is until it gets to the point where it needs replacing entirely.

Is this a valid recommendation? Another roofer has said that it is worth replacing the missing tiles.
Ta
Joe

Sponsored Links
The problem is more get broken than get replaced if the roof is that bad.

Best to get another couple of opinions.

Thanks. I'm guessing the tiles are the original tiles from when the house was built - late 50's/early 60's maybe, so there going to be pretty old. I think that's the point the roofer who came round was making. His advice was to wait a few years and then do the whole roof.

I had broken ones the same age, they are easy to replace but many of the ones that looked good were very poor on the underside and the wood battens were even worse

CD67D634-C797-4C26-8A80-C906A6431902.jpeg

9085268D-DAF2-43F4-9E5A-3AD60CE95A40.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There will be hundreds of duff tiles on your roof. Your roofer is correct - replace the lot.

It is worth replacing the obviously broken or missing ones, and then taking a view on whether/when the whole roof needs doing - very expensive.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back