Replacing built-in Gas oven with Elec 13Amp oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'll appreciate any help you may be able to offer :

We have a Stoves built-in double gas oven which we're having some trouble with - Although we bought the house 12 months ago, the oven is about 11 years old and the electronics seem to be malfunctioning.
There is a cupboard above the oven.

My questions are:

Do I need a Gas Safe Engineer to cap the gas supply or can this be done by the installer of a new 13Amp oven - Comet suggest that this must be done before they'll install it but I wonder if this is common to all suppliers?

There is a double socket which is currently used just to power the electronics of our current gas appliance. I assume this is sufficient for a modern electric oven?

Also - have regulations changed since the last oven was installed - is the cupboard above the oven a factor?

Sorry if this isn't in the correct section as it relates to gas AND electric!

Many thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
There is a cupboard above the oven.
Do you MEAN oven - not cooker?
Do I need a Gas Safe Engineer to cap the gas supply or can this be done by the installer of a new 13Amp oven - Comet suggest that this must be done before they'll install it but I wonder if this is common to all suppliers?
Yes.
Unless it is a plug-in connecting to a rubber pipe to the oven.
There is a double socket which is currently used just to power the electronics of our current gas appliance. I assume this is sufficient for a modern electric oven?
If it is indeed 13A and comes with a plug on the end of the flex.
Also - have regulations changed since the last oven was installed - is the cupboard above the oven a factor?
That's what makes me think you mean a cooker - i.e. with hobs - but then unlikely to be 13A.

If it is a cooker the instructions will tell you the required height of cupboard above the hob.

Yes - I mean just an Oven. We have Gas hobs but these are totally separate and aren't a factor.

We're looking at getting a 13 Amp, Double built in oven.

Thanks for your swift and clear reply.
Tim

Sponsored Links
13A is very low for a double oven and if such a thing exists I would expect it to be terrible. Most double ovens require a much larger supply than that.

Thanks for the info. I've not had a huge amount of opportunity to look into it so all your input is really useful.

I must admit I had always assumed ovens had to be hard-wired in -
as did my head of Department who has just had a kitchen fitted! I've never really had to consider it before as it's the first house we've purchased.

I think we're most likely to end-up going for a replacement gas appliance and I'll go back to some suppliers armed with a lot more info and ideas than I had before I posted on here.

Cheers - this is a great resource.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back