New oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

We are considering replacing our current gas cooker with an electric one, We know a gas engineer that has offered to remove the gas one and make safe the connection etc.

We will be using an qualified person for the electric connections, but just wanted to check what we currently have will work for the oven we are looking at or does it need upgrading/ or pick an other oven, if it does need upgrading we need to get housing group permission etc so wanted to check before going ahead.

The oven we are looking at is a 9.6-10.4 KW double oven by hotpoint. The breaker in the box says 32MA on it but the list on the box says the cooker circuit is rated for 40amps. Having looked at the manual for the oven online it says to use a 6mm2 cable.

Do you think that cable and breaker will be okay ? it will go into one of the oven juntion boxes behind the oven, which is in turn fed from a cooker socket on the wall (with the big red isolation switch), which also has 13amp plug connection.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Standard arrangement for a cooker circuit would be 32A on a 6.00 T&E cable.
Using diversity this would normally allow for up to 15kW Appliance.

I would recheck the device labelled 32MA, as that does not sound correct.

Thanks for the reply

having just checked the board again the cooker breaker says

B40 32Ma

I am guessing the B40 means a 40amp breaker?

Sponsored Links
Having had a look (back home now)

It what looks to be a 10mm cable (each core is multi-stranded) and runs behind plasterboard a distance of around 4 meters, so if I am reading the link correctly would that make it 57 ?

is it okay to go from 10mm to 6mm via the junction box?

Having had a look (back home now)

It what looks to be a 10mm cable (each core is multi-stranded) and runs behind plasterboard a distance of around 4 meters, so if I am reading the link correctly would that make it 57 ?

is it okay to go from 10mm to 6mm via the junction box?

Stranded cable can be 4.00mm and upwards, so don't assume 10mm because it is stranded.

It could possibly be printed on the cable sheath the CSA of the cable, not always but sometimes.
With regards to reducing cables CSA at a junction, if you do do this, then I would suggest a certificate is made out and remark accordingly. Junction boxes will require to be accessibly for maintenance, inspection and testing purposes.

I would suggest now is a time to inform the housing association, regarding alterations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back