Replacing complete foul & ran water system, brick built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m completely replacing my foul & ran water system right back to the first inspection pit, this is the easier option to making multiple connections into existing cast iron & clay pipe work. (It’s only one soil stack & 3m of underground pipe more than I would have had done any way.)

I just wanted some reassurance that I will be doing the work in the correct manor, this is the first full set of drains I have done but I am an advanced DIY’er/renovator. And before you ask building control have been informed and will be inspecting pre & post back filling.

The actual Pipe work is pretty straight forward; one new 5 way inspection pit, one 90 deg inspection pit, two upstairs bathrooms each with its own external vented soil stack, one under stairs toilet with air Admittance valve. Gray water from kitchen, gutter down pipe & surface drain, each through its own or shared bottle gully.

My question relates to the first inspection pit off the road, which is brick built with clay pipe running through the bottom with benching ether side (no branches joining), it also has a mains derange rodding point & trap.
Due to the repositioning of gutter down pipe, addition of surface drains and the requirement to have all branches rodable, I need to add two branches (carrying rain water only) to one side of this inspection pit.

Although I have never constructed one of these old style inspection pits before, I am familiar with the requirement of having a radius on the end of the branch pipe so it doesn’t just hit the posit wall, and pointing the branch in the same direction of flow as the base pipe. I have read through the Approved Document H but this doesn’t give any requirements that are relevant to particularly type of inspection pit.

I’m after finding out what particular things a building inspector or professional builder would be looking for in a job that is done well. I have access to a library in the local technical collage if you can recommend a good book on the subject.
Or just some tips from some one that is experienced with brick built inspection pits.

Trevor

Sponsored Links
Really one for the builders, this, as plumbers don't generally get involved with what goes underground. I would say that you may find building control are unwilling to pass a new installation that is still running a combined drainage system where rainwater runs into the same pipes as your soil and waste. You should ask them about this before you begin, and preferably get written confirmation that they will allow you to do this before you start.

How do I go about moving this post the builders area.
Building control seemed quite happy, as the inspector was on site for less than 5 minutes when I talked through what I was proposing to do. Combined drains is all that is available in this area, this is a refurbishment rather than a new build.

First thing you should do (especially as you have no experience of this) is get on to building control and ask for a site visit.
Ask the BI what he would like ( he will tell you exactly) and do it his way. Forget the books etc it is his opinion that matters and they will give advise.
With this kind of thing as we haven't seen what is involved and don't know the local rules and regs (they do differ) we cannot advise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back