Foul air in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone throw any light as to why both our bathrooms smell of foul air in the mornings? (It's a real sewer smell not last night's curry.) :cry:

The drainage setup we have to the house is:

A manhole as the sewer enters our property. From this manhole, one drain serves the family bathroom only and terminates with an open stack through the roof. Into this open stack is fed the WC via a branch. Into the end cap on this branch is fed a 1.5" plactic pipe into which the waste from, first the sink and then the bath flows. The bath has a regular bottle trap on it whereas the sink has a HepVo pedestal trap as I was concerned about possible back siphonage when flushing the WC.

Also from this manhole another drain serves first the en-suite bathroom, then the kitchen sink and dish washer, followed by the cloakroom WC and sink, beyond which the drain terminates at a branch into which a Durgo is fitted. A 1.5" plastic pipe takes the waste from the utility-room sink and washing machine to the end-cap of this branch.

Just lately I have been leaving the plug in both the sink and the bath in the family bathroom and running a little water into both to ensure that they are sealed. No change though; the next morning the bathroom stinks of foul air. The only vent open to the sewer is the sink overflow. Could it be possible that the HepV0 trap is letting foul air past and up through the sink overflow?

The sink in the en-suite bathroom on the other leg of the sewer is also fitted with a HepVo trap and it stinks as well although the kitchen, cloakroom and utility room do not. (The sinks in the latter are fitted with regular water traps).

This seem to me to point to the HepVo traps being the culprits. Any thoughts???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back