Foul Water Into Roof-Drain Pipe??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permitted to run a new foul water drain (40mm sink waste) into a 4" roof-drain stack?

It's a combined system (victorian) outside the building (rain and foul water combine for flow into sewer somewhere before before 1st manhole). Friend has had conflicting advice from 2 different plumbers (one says it's ok, the other not, not sure how professional either 'plumber' is).

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the vertical is correctly installed AND it really is a combined drain then its OK.

Tony

Thanks I'll pass that on. It does seem odd that there are two stacks 2m apart but both plumbers agree they combine underground (so I'm told). Any other comments welcome to add weight (or not).

There's no easy way to reach the bathroom waste stack without crossing the rainwater one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Herts, yes dye I presume (hope) that's what was used. Will ask her to confirm they are defo shared that before doing anything (not my problem... at least it wasn't till I stuck my nose in!). I presume the rainwater stack would need protection from leaves etc entering at the top. Sounds ok in this case (for a sink) but I don't like the idea of a WC sharing a rainwater stack for some reason, or is that just me :confused:

Rainwater shouldnt be directly connected to a foul or combined sewer, any rainwater downpipes should discharge into a trapped gulley, which in turn, is connected to the sewer. If not connected properly then the rainwater downpipe will act as a vent for the sewer, possibly allowing foul air to escape where it's not wanted. :eek:

Thanks Herts, yes dye I presume (hope) that's what was used. Will ask her to confirm they are defo shared that before doing anything (not my problem... at least it wasn't till I stuck my nose in!). I presume the rainwater stack would need protection from leaves etc entering at the top. Sounds ok in this case (for a sink) but I don't like the idea of a WC sharing a rainwater stack for some reason, or is that just me :confused:

The rainwater pipe will be trapped at ground level so any WC branch will have to be after this trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back