Running foul water into single sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our property has a single sewer exiting at the rear of the property. At the front we only have guttering and rain water collection going into the sewer. As we are preparing to add an en-suite to a bedroom at the front of the property then:-

1] can we run foul / toilet waste into the rain water as it is a single sewer
2] if we didnt fit a toilet and only had shower/basin waste then could that run out with rain water?

This is a Victorian property and previous sewer routes and plans from utility provider has shown that front and back sewer runs all congregate together at the end of the terrace so it all gets mixed at some point anyway

Cheers

I

Sponsored Links
1] can we run foul / toilet waste into the rain water as it is a single sewer
2] if we didnt fit a toilet and only had shower/basin waste then could that run out with rain water?

Only if it a foul water/combined sewer and with the necessary permissions.

All waste outlets are considered to be foul waste, so if you exclude the toilet, the rest is still foul, so would need to be foul sewer, or combined. Easiest way to test is with drain tracing dye.

If water company plans show its a combined system then any foul flow can be discharged to it new surface water cannot

Sponsored Links
Get it in writing from the Water Company that you are allowed to connect, if you dont and it's subsequently found to be a Cross Connection, i.e. Foul into a Surface sewer, they'll make you alter it at your own expense.

Be aware, many Victorian streets have a Combined sewer running along the rear, taking the Foul and the rainwater from the rear, then a surface water sewer in the street, taking the road gullies and runoff from the front of the Properties.

Don't assume its combined without checking/getting authorisation first.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Unless there is a get out clause on the plans provided or in the accompanying correspondence then the water company has already stated that it is a combined sewer. As long as its not a shared sewer on his property then no authorisation to connect required, BC to approve connection and pipe run details.

As long as its not a shared sewer on his property then no authorisation to connect required, BC to approve connection and pipe run details.

Not in my experience, water authority still need to give approval for a new connection. BC won't be interested in the sewer connection, normally they stop at the disconnecting manhole.

Not in my experience, water authority still need to give approval for a new connection. BC won't be interested in the sewer connection, normally they stop at the disconnecting manhole.
My experience as below, dwgs approved by BC no involvement with water company, why would they want to be involved, I already paid for sewerage services and all new pipework and connections deemed my responsibility. In the end due to clay soils and soakaways being impractical surface water also directed to existing combined drainage system (BC went along with it and again no involvement with WC)

Attachments

• Screenshot (890).png
    Screenshot (890).png
    43.6 KB · Views: 62
My experience as below, dwgs approved by BC no involvement with water company, why would they want to be involved, I already paid for sewerage services and all new pipework and connections deemed my responsibility.
As per your drawing, a connection was being made on the property to the existing foul sewer, and in effect it was only being extended around the footprint of the proposed extension.. In this instance the OP want to make a new connection to an existing sewer, and has no idea if the sewer they are proposing to connect to is combined, with too many assumptions being made.

You've also contradicted yourself,
If water company plans show its a combined system then any foul flow can be discharged to it new surface water cannot
then you say
In the end due to clay soils and soakaways being impractical surface water also directed to existing combined drainage system (BC went along with it and again no involvement with WC)
Rainwater can be discharged to a combined sewer if all other options have been ruled out. As happened with your situation.....

Disagree, Op is making a connection to an existing sewer same as I did. As for contradiction, yes I should have said "new surface water cannot without agreement from the WC". I side stepped that requirement ( naughty boy?) :)

How do you know how others are reading it, but yes you are misunderstanding the OP. He has a sewer at the back that runs into a combined system and a sewer at the front ( even though its only transporting rain water at the moment) which also discharges into the aforesaid combined system hence its all part and parcel of a combined system. If the OP says otherwise I will gladly ( well not gladly but accept my misinterpretation is wrong) eat humble pie. OP to clarify?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back