Running foul water into single sewer

Sponsored Links
The OP is assuming the drainage at the front is Combined, and it all converges into the same sewer further downstream. Sewer Maps are not always right, and again, given the age of the sewer in Victorian streets, it may sometimes be an assumed route shown if the actual route isn't known.

The only safe way to ascertain if this sewer is suitable to connect to or not would be an appropriate test, i.e. Tracing Dye. The OP shouldn't be attempting to lift covers outside of their property, particularly in the Highway, in order to conduct such a test, so the correct procedure now going forward, is to speak to the Water Company, and get their permission to connect. If the Water Company, ( Worcester I would think is under Severn Trent), have any doubts, they will perform the necessary checks before giving or refusing permission to connect.

The OP needs to be aware, if they connect without permission, and subsequently it is found that sewage is entering a surface water sewer, and traced back to their property, they will receive Legal Notice to make the correct connection at their expense. If they want to argue then they'll need deep pockets.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
OP is not assuming anything, his conclusion is based on the information provided by the WC, if he doubts what their records show and wants to verify with them that the the information is correct then so be it but it is not incumbent on himself to ascertain that the WC records are correct. If the information so provided is correct then the sewers front and back belong to a combined system and notwithstanding what other contributors believe additional connections from an existing property within their domain do not require any permissions or approvals from the WC unless the section of sewer is perceived to be a shared sewer or it is for the purposes of connecting new surface water flow.

Sponsored Links
I've given my take on the issue, it's up to the OP what advice they take on board. My only other concern is, as this sewer and been seemingly exclusively for rainwater for the last 120 years, I'd want it CCTV surveyed to ascertain it's condition before attempting to connect a foul drain. Water will get around any possible obstructions. Sewage will not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back