Replacing concrete steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
Our concrete steps up to the front door have really suffered over the last 2 winters. There are big chunks missing, and they really need to be replaced. Repair doesn't seem to be an option because they're hollow in behind. We just got a builder's estimate. He is quoting £800 plus to replace the 7 steps.
To buy the steps from a builders' merchant is around £335, including vat and delivery.
How difficult a job is it for us to do ourselves? We have done a bit of stone work around the garden...set kerb stones at the driveway, built a walled tortoise enclosure, laid a cobble effect path (meshed underneath), etc., so we're not complete novices.
The work will also involve removing the cast iron railings/ handrails. I'll want to preserve and reuse them because it took me a painstaking length of time and patience to prepare and Hammerite last summer! They still look great, unlike the steps they're set into!
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda

Sponsored Links
If you can buy pretty much what you need without too much alteration then i'd say go for it. Your biggest problem will be getting them into position as moving them will most likely be a machine job.

If they require any modifying or access is in anyway difficult i would say leave it to someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back