Building Patio and Back Step - What About the DPM??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We recently had our extension finished...well nearly finished! The builder didn't build us a back step as it would have cost another 500 quid to which I laughed at.

As the weather is starting to get a bit better I am in the mood to start thinking about building this step (or steps) myself and also laying our patio.

My first question is, I am aware that patio's must be at least 6 inches below the DPM but what about the back step as it is quite a drop at the moment and I would like to build the Steps as shallow as possible to the back door??

Secondly, how do I go about this, do you have to lay some sort of foundation for a large step? I am going to use breeze blocks faced with bricks and topped with the same stone as the patio - am I right or completely wrong in this approach?

Lastly - I am assuming I build the step first and lay the patio around it? A friend has suggested laying a concrete base for the patio and cementing the stone directly to this, is this correct for a large patio?

Many thanks for your help!!!

Sponsored Links
As a step generally occurs outside a door, then rain splash will only effect the door. Many have canopies in conjunction with a step also.

If we are slabbing then we tend to leave out the slabs where the step is going. This recess can then be filled with concrete and a single course engineering brick laid, then slabs on top, allowing the slabs to over-sail the bricks slightly.

The brick + slab is usually the right amount of rise as to halve the step down from the door threshold. If it is a tad more of a drop then the bricks can be laid on edge.

N.B. All the above is based on the patio finishing 150mm down from the dpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back