Step onto patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm doing a 2m wide patio around a new extension. There is a 5m wide bifold which needs a 100mm step down onto the finished level of the patio.

I have put down the mot and have to compact it, but I'm wondering about footings for the step.

Pavingexpert says you can lay brick and flag on top of the patio slabs, but I'm wondering if I should put down a mortar bed in the shape of the step first, and butt the patio slabs up to the step riser. The mot will be the foundation.

What's the consensus? A footing would surely be OTT for a single brick riser? Is the mot compacted ok for a footing?

Should add I'm on chalk...

Sponsored Links
Mot is a terrible foundation, either build it off the paving slabs as suggested or put in a separate footing of of concrete, Even 4'' of lean mix would be fine.

Bare in mind if you need a 100mm step your brick laid on the flags with a bed top and bottom will be 80mm ish add on top your flag which could be anything from 25mm -50mm?

Your better off doing a separate footing then you can adjust it to suit your rising heights etc unless you are using a very thin flag and very tight beds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back