Replacing conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we havea semi detached house, currently it hs a conservatory on the rear this is rotten and needs replacing. It is also above the damp course of the house. We would like to replace this with a more substantial extesnion. This would involve putting in new footings as I believe it's only on a cement pad. I have spoken to an architect, he was saying if we were to sell it's better to have planning permission rather than doing it under permitted development.

Do I need to do this under planning or can I go the permitted development (PD) route? If I go PD can we open the rear wall out so the extension makes the house open plan on the rear?

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
You can normally go out 3m without planning permission (or up to 6m in some cases). If you do it under PD, you can always apply for a Lawful Development Certificate, which can be shown to buyers if you sell.

You can open up the back of the house into the extension regardless of whether you use PD rights or go for planning permission (subject to Building Control matters).

Many thanks for your reply. I'll look into this further and see what difference in cost is.

I have spoken to an architect, he was saying if we were to sell it's better to have planning permission rather than doing it under permitted development
Which he will no doubt be happy to charge you for.

If it's PD, it's PD and that's what you tell the conveyancer when you sell.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you were speaking to an architect ? Why apply for planning permission if it is permitted development ?! That is the definition of PD - it doesn't require a planning application. The thing is to check that it is PD.
Building Regs approval for the extension
will be required of course as others have said.

Strange advice from an architect.

Surely if it is PD then you can apply for a Lawful development cert.

'Surely if it is PD then you can apply for a Lawful development cert.'- I think Tony would agree with you Notch !

Planning Portal - PD rights for householders - technical guidance.

Are you sure you were speaking to an architect ? Why apply for planning permission if it is permitted development ?! That is the definition of PD - it doesn't require a planning application. The thing is to check that it is PD.
Building Regs approval for the extension
will be required of course as others have said.

I have a feeling he is a an architectural designer, I was not convinced by his satatement. He was saying when it comes to sell it's better of you can show its planning rather than PD, I agree with you as long as its legal and meets building regs there would be no issue.

I have read that you can do a single storey rear extension under PD up to 4m deep. So is cant see his reasoning apart from of course charging me if he did the work.

I am a bit wary of just saying you can build an extension up to 3m,4m or whatever - whether something comes under permitted development is not quite as simple as that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back